Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stanford Waitlist  (Read 6360 times)

michigander

• View Profile
Re: Stanford Waitlist
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 03:27:54 PM »
Grades are sure to be history in near future, and the school has accepted at least one applicant off the WL.

I think July was the earliest anyone got in last year; lsders called and asked when folks would start to get in off the WL, and through June, the admissions office always indicated that the answer was "later, if at all."  Late start last year.

someone already got in off the wait list??? i was just being factitious!

any info on this mystery wait list person?

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 04:28:49 PM »
Grades are sure to be history in near future, and the school has accepted at least one applicant off the WL.

I think July was the earliest anyone got in last year; lsders called and asked when folks would start to get in off the WL, and through June, the admissions office always indicated that the answer was "later, if at all."  Late start last year.

I think the mystery person was well-qualified.

michigander

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 04:38:42 PM »

I think the mystery person was well-qualified.

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but what does that entail? I haven't seen any Wait List, Accept on LSN, so I was wondering who, if anyone, is getting in.

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 05:07:16 PM »
Since the applicant was free to post about the acceptance here or put up a profile/updated profile on LSN and declined to do either, I don't feel at liberty to say anymore than I already have.  Just trying to be helpful; sorry I can't be more helpful.

rabbit9198

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 09:13:52 PM »
Stanford announced changes to the grading policy today:

Date: Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:27 AM
Subject: Grade Reform
Dear All:

Yesterday afternoon, the faculty voted to adopt a grade reform proposal which will change our grading system to an honors, pass, restricted credit, no credit system for all semesters/quarters. The new system includes a shared norm for the proportion of honors to be awarded in both exam and paper courses. No grading system is perfect, but the consensus is that the reform will have significant pedagogical benefits, including that it encourages greater flexibility and innovation in the classroom and in designing metrics for evaluating student work.

As you may know, we spent all year studying the issue and discussing the likely advantages for recruiting students, placing our graduates in practice and clerkships, reducing the disparity between on-mean and off-mean courses, and, above all, enhancing the intellectual environment of the law school. I am extremely grateful for the student input we received, not only from the student liaison committee but from countless others who wrote emails, met with faculty, and spoke with me directly. We benefited immensely from your contributions.

Yesterday, the faculty agreed only on the basic proposal. We have not yet voted on the timing of our transition to the new system or a number of other details. For now, then, the decision does not and should not affect your course planning or anything else. We are working to settle the transition questions as quickly as possible and will inform you as soon as they have been resolved.

Best,
Larry

via ATL: http://abovethelaw.com/2008/05/stanford_law_school_approves_g.php
Read my blog about 1L life at Yale (and Harvard): http://similarlysituated.blogspot.com/

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rabbit9198/

YLS 2011

michigander

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 11:51:45 AM »
Bueller...Bueller...

QueenoftheCourt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 01:21:35 PM »
In off the waitlist today...wow, that post about grades is REALLY wreaking havoc on me at the moment.
Harvard Law 2011!

(Formerly known as CalGirl86)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=calgal86

ecureuil

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 01:37:14 PM »
Congrats! That's a hard (but enviable) choice between Harvard and Stanford!  :D

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 01:51:53 PM »
Congrats.  Right to form, though: extremely high number folks get off first.  Generally need relatively high numbers to get off regardless of timing.

michigander

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 10:18:13 AM »
Congrats.  Right to form, though: extremely high number folks get off first.  Generally need relatively high numbers to get off regardless of timing.

So why wait list splitters or lower numbered people in the first place?