Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stanford Waitlist  (Read 6376 times)

BABYCAKES

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stanford Waitlist
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »
Does anyone have any information on Stanford's waitlist and how likely one is to be accepted off of the waitlist?  I know that SLS is conservative in its initial round of acceptances since it is such a small school.  I also know, based on LSN, that many of the admits and waitlist applicants to SLS are also already in at H or Y or CCN with $$.  I have thus far written a LOCI and sent in an additional LOR from the head of my firm's IP department and I am going to visit this weekend. 

Any advice from current SLS 1L's or other wait listed applicants would be much appreciated.  I would love to return to California (I attended undergrad in SoCal) and Stanford is pretty much as good as it gets in terms of IP and new media law-- my areas of interest.  Do I have any hope??
Good luck to you, I went to HLS and turnred down SLS because I am an East coast person.

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 03:13:54 AM »
Well I guess that is encouraging.  From the wait list letter it seemed that Stanford doesn't waitlist that many people and they also don't rank them.  Then again the people they pull of the waitlist seems to depend a lot on what demographic turns down their offer.  Since it is such a small class I think they use the waitlist to diversify the class once people accept or decline admissions offers.

Every waitlist is ranked to some degree.  They don't just draw names out of hats.  True that some schools care about demographics--but looking at past years, it's clear that it's the high numbers demographic that S cares most about when tapping the WL (which isn't to suggest that it's the only concern--just the biggest).

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 03:16:13 AM »
Good luck to you  :D  With any luck I will see you there in the fall.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Just so you know, they will wait forever to release you from the list if you're not accepted off of it.  I think I was released mid-September last year...

Harvard's no different.  I even emailed them notice of withdrawal in mid-July.  They wanted a letter.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 11:48:23 AM »
Someone on TLS called and was told that they won't start taking people from the waitlist until late May/early June.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 12:16:01 AM »
I guess that means nothing this week. Maybe next week.

michigander

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 04:31:39 PM »
I'm so antsy. You think next week? And how come there were no June admits from the WL last year?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »
I'm so antsy. You think next week? And how come there were no June admits from the WL last year?

Me too. I know I shouldn't be getting my hopes up, but I can't help it.

And I have no idea why there were no June admits last year on LSN. Either there were none or none of them were on LSN.

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 04:47:46 PM »

Me too. I know I shouldn't be getting my hopes up, but I can't help it.

And I have no idea why there were no June admits last year on LSN. Either there were none or none of them were on LSN.

Hey, do you mind PM'ing me your LSAT and GPA?

michigander

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 02:54:38 PM »
so...it's late may...

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »
Grades are sure to be history in near future, and the school has accepted at least one applicant off the WL.

I think July was the earliest anyone got in last year; lsders called and asked when folks would start to get in off the WL, and through June, the admissions office always indicated that the answer was "later, if at all."  Late start last year.