5 (8.6%)
End of July
 11 (19%)
Beginning of August
 33 (56.9%)
Enf of August
 5 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: When are you moving?  (Read 3345 times)

MissNatalie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: When are you moving?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »
My orientation is on the 21st.  As much as I would like to make the move sooner to get acquainted I need to stay as long as possible and make money. I'm driving my car from So Cal to New York so I'll probably leave around the 10th to be there by the 15th.
Class of 2011

hs1046

• 163, 3.82
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 10:37:06 PM »
I'll be moving in mid-july to give myself at least a month or so to get acquainted with the new area. 

pete.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 11:07:17 AM »
i'm moving at the beginning of August, but i'm quitting my job a month before then. i have to move across the country so i'm thinking of doing it the long way-- take it slow, backroads only, check out the sights, camping along the way... really see the country and make an experience out of it.

RoughRider

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 12:40:21 PM »
i'm moving at the beginning of August, but i'm quitting my job a month before then. i have to move across the country so i'm thinking of doing it the long way-- take it slow, backroads only, check out the sights, camping along the way... really see the country and make an experience out of it.

I'm moving across the country as well and wanted to do something similar, but it was just going to cost too much and wouldn't be too practical with small kids.  So, I'll be shipping a few things, and flying.  I hope to move around August 1 with orientation starting mid-August.

sherah

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 12:48:11 PM »

I'm moving across the country as well and wanted to do something similar, but it was just going to cost too much and wouldn't be too practical with small kids.  So, I'll be shipping a few things, and flying.  I hope to move around August 1 with orientation starting mid-August.

My mother drove across the states with me and my three siblings in our family van, ages 4, 9, 10 (me), and 15.  It was...memorable, to say the least.  Hahaha.
"The expert only answers what he or she knows.
The non-expert answers everything!"

RoughRider

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »

Are you hiring a moving company?

No . . . probably going to do the pod-type thing.  We will need to downsize considerably, so I think I can pack two mid-size pods with everything we need and then buy some bigger items and/or breakable items when we arrive.  I'm also going to sell our two cars here and buy just one when we arrive.

RoughRider

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 12:52:53 PM »

My mother drove across the states with me and my three siblings in our family van, ages 4, 9, 10 (me), and 15.  It was...memorable, to say the least.  Hahaha.

I bet it was!

RoughRider

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 01:05:56 PM »

Are you hiring a moving company?

No . . . probably going to do the pod-type thing.  We will need to downsize considerably, so I think I can pack two mid-size pods with everything we need and then buy some bigger items and/or breakable items when we arrive.  I'm also going to sell our two cars here and buy just one when we arrive.

Yard sale?  That's what I'm doing and anything that doesn't sell - I'm going to donate.

Yep . . . and Craigslist.  Probably going to be more Craigslist than yard sale, as our weekends are pretty much booked for the summer already between my wife's schedule (wedding photographer) and other plans. There may not be time for a sale.  August is coming too fast!!!!

pete.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 01:49:01 PM »

yeah, none of my stuff is worth enough to offset the cost of moving it, so i'm selling everything that won't fit in/on my car and buying new stuff there. it'll just be me and my dog and we'll be staying at campgrounds as we work our way across the country.

on the other hand, if you could find a way to do something like that with your kids (don't know how small they are), what a great experience it would be for them...