Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Capital U or Florida Coastal  (Read 1475 times)

wagnera11

• View Profile
    • Email
Capital U or Florida Coastal
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:29:30 PM »
Trying to decide where to go between Capital and Florida Coastal but can't find much on Capital.  Any opinions or current students????

Steve Jones

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
Re: Capital U or Florida Coastal
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:25:25 AM »
Florida Coastal (based upon unbiased assessment)
We have many people from your state that attend our school!

zdub378

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 02:13:29 PM »
I'm from Columbus, so I know a bit about Capital.  The only thing I know about FCSL is that it is a for-profit school, has some shady practices in regards to scholarships and attrition, and that their admissions office was e-stalking me for a while. 

Capital is a good school if you want to practice law in Central Ohio.  They've had one of the best bar passage rates in the state the past few years, and there are some pretty good faculty there.

IMO, go to Capital or wait until next cycle and reapply other places.  They're doing a lot of work aimed at improving the school's rankings, and they've attracted some pretty good faculty. 

Steve Jones

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 12:34:23 AM »
Avoid Crapital at all costs
We have many people from your state that attend our school!

oh noez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:45:20 AM »
I have a friend at Capital Law right now and she loves it. She said the faculty is great and that she is learning a lot. However, you should realize how regional the degree is--don't plan on moving out of Ohio, at least for 10 years. Florida Coastal has a huge class (like 600+ students/year), so don't bank on an awesome class rank... IMO, that is a huge strike against Florida Coastal. I'd choose Capital if you want to stay in Ohio or reapply next year if you want to practice somewhere else. 

K-Bomb

• Sr. Citizen
  • You = Gatorbait.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 01:09:38 AM »
Florida Coastal sent me emails offering a free iPod.

Avoid.

Then again, I go to UF, so it feels like I go to the only school in the state.  Truth be told, I know a lot of lawyers who are very successful from FCU.