Law School Discussion

Gotta vent a little

Gotta vent a little
« on: May 07, 2008, 01:20:49 PM »
Why is it so hard to raise your GPA and so easy to drop it?!?!?!

I worked my behind off and my GPA raised only .01 last semester, whoop dee do, and again, this semester seems like it will be the same. My grades are rolling in now, but I'm afraid the boost is again going to be minimal.

How much of a difference does .02 really make in a GPA? What constitutes a significant increase?

I'm just really exasperated right now... I wanted a 4.0 this semester as it will be my last chance to positively affect my GPA before applying to law school in the fall, but I guess it's not going to happen. Having a plus/minus system really stinks, especially those darn A minuses.

Sorry about the venting, but I feel a little better now!

casper13

• Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta vent a little
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 02:21:54 PM »
Are you on a semester or quarter system. I am on a semester system and I raised my GPA a lot over the past two years because my classes were worth 4credits each versus 3 as the norm here. Well good luck I feel your pain about the 4.0 I finally got my first one last semster after coming so close because those damn A-

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:26:23 PM »
Semester system, I've had like two classes worth 4 credits, but all the rest have been 3.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 02:49:56 PM »
Why would 4 or 3 matter?  3 A's in 4 credit classes would be the same as 4 A's in 3 credit classes.  12 credits is 12 credits. 

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 02:53:37 PM »
Wait... Green, are you really venting against math?  It's not like there's some strange rule that is keeping your GPA down.  Just take more credits before you graduate.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »
Oh, I forgot to answer your original question.  It's only harder to raise your GPA than to lower it as long as you are above 2.0.  Once you drop below 2.0 it's easier to raise it than to lower it. 

casper13

• Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 03:18:06 PM »
Why would 4 or 3 matter?  3 A's in 4 credit classes would be the same as 4 A's in 3 credit classes.  12 credits is 12 credits. 

It would not matter in the sense of points that is correct, but I think it is easier to get straight A's in 3 classes as opposed to 4 classes and you get the same end result of 48 grade points with a lighter load. Least that is in my past experiences.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 05:21:18 PM »
Wait... Green, are you really venting against math?  It's not like there's some strange rule that is keeping your GPA down.  Just take more credits before you graduate.

I understand how it's calculated.  If your GPA is already pretty high, it's way easier to lower it than raise it.  Just a little frustrated with the plus/minus system is all.  There's no A+ where I'm at, so the minuses really hurt.

None of this matters, I was just putting it out there. 

dpwc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 05:25:01 PM »
Oh, I forgot to answer your original question.  It's only harder to raise your GPA than to lower it as long as you are above 2.0.  Once you drop below 2.0 it's easier to raise it than to lower it. 

Depends what you mean by easier. If you assume it that all possible grades are equally likely, then yes it is more likely that you raise your GPA, but still not necessarily easier (effort wise). Just a thought.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 09:41:35 PM »

Depends what you mean by easier. If you assume it that all possible grades are equally likely, then yes it is more likely that you raise your GPA, but still not necessarily easier (effort wise). Just a thought.

What I meant was, if you are above 2.0, an A will increase your GPA by less points than an F will lower it.  If you are below 2.0, the reverse is true.