• Email
« on: May 07, 2008, 03:03:08 PM »

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
Re: UGA v. UF($)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 03:21:02 PM »
If you wanna be near a beach, the choice is clear.  Since you're not shooting for Atlanta biglaw or anything like that, I would say you should go to UF.  If you can put up with G-ville for a few years, you shouldn't have much of a problem finding the kind of job you describe in a city like Tampa, Jacksonville, West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, or any of a number of beach cities throughout Florida.

Full disclosure - I'm from Florida, I'm at home right now, and I'm just about to head to the beach.   ;D
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:31:36 PM »

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 04:41:12 PM »
Whichever you choose, you'll have some good football stories to tell once you've graduated...
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 04:46:44 PM »
If you aren't trying to break into the Atlanta market, UGA is the defacto number one school in Georgia.  Savannah is on the ocean, but that's about as close as you're going to get to a beach-front town. 

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 04:51:19 PM »

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 04:53:58 PM »
Whichever you choose, you'll have some good football stories to tell once you've graduated...

I guess I should give a bump to UGA b/c they will likely be the pre-season #1. And celebrating a national championship would be sweet. Also, Tebow is annoying.

You're dead to me. And delusional.
Tulane c/o 2011

SteelersandGators

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 06:09:01 PM »

I guess I should give a bump to UGA b/c they will likely be the pre-season #1. And celebrating a national championship would be sweet. Also, Tebow is annoying.

I know Tim, and he just got back from the Phillipines where he was helping to give impoverished children medical care.

But I'm sorry he "annoys" you. I guess you should go to UGA.

Oh yeah, and UF has celebrated 3 national championships the past few years. UGA has celebrated zero.
UVA Law Class of 2011

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 06:14:58 PM »
UF consistantly ranks about 10 below UGA in the us news rankings. What affect would that have on employment prospects? Also UF is the top law school in Florida where UGA is second to Emory in Georgia. Is that significant?

Can anyone comment on UF's decline in the rankings and if they think UF will bounce back.

I do not believe UF will fall below Tier 1, but here's the thing - if UF rises ten next year, falls five the year after, rises two the year following that ... it doesn't really matter. Schools within the bottom half of the Tier 1 will move around within the ranks because USNews' job is to spark controversy to sell magazines.  Despite those schools' rankings volatility, your job prospects are going to remain the same.

Levin is still the top dog in Florida.  FSU is catching up, but even if next year USNews decides that FSU is one rank higher than UF (not bloody likely), UF will still be considered the top school in the minds of the people who hire you.

All that to say this -- don't sweat minor rankings fluctuations because at the end of the day, it's still the same school.

My advice from before remains the same.  You want a job at a modest firm in a mid-sized town, and you mentioned that you wanted to be near the beach.  Well, Florida's got your coastline covered.   From Pensacola to Key West and back up to Jacksonville, there's gotta be a town and a job you'll love.

EDIT:  And besides, the Dawgs have Gatorbait written all over them.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 01:16:13 AM »
UF consistantly ranks about 10 below UGA in the us news rankings. What affect would that have on employment prospects? Also UF is the top law school in Florida where UGA is second to Emory in Georgia. Is that significant?

Can anyone comment on UF's decline in the rankings and if they think UF will bounce back.

Probably no affect, but it might have an effect. 
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!