Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prof plagerized exam right out of Segal's Torts Review Book- Recourse?  (Read 1508 times)

mf22076

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
My prof took his exam right out of a Torts essay exam book.  For those who read the essay with model answer they got an unfair advantage.  The dean of students office sent out an email saying that the exam was fair and no modification will be made to the curve.  I find it unacceptable at a school were they constantly threaten us about the potential for plagarism that they are allowing the professor to get away with it.  The question should be thrown out. 

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
This isn't an uncommon occurrence. Many prof's use questions from other texts.

shimra

• View Profile
    • Email
My prof took his exam right out of a Torts essay exam book.  For those who read the essay with model answer they got an unfair advantage.  The dean of students office sent out an email saying that the exam was fair and no modification will be made to the curve.  I find it unacceptable at a school were they constantly threaten us about the potential for plagarism that they are allowing the professor to get away with it.  The question should be thrown out. 

There's probably a formal procedure to complain about a grade which can be found in your student handbook or similar document.

If you want to, you could file a formal complaint, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to get anywhere with it.  It will probably go to some sort of committee.

I guess you could look in the case law for a similar fact pattern where somebody won against a school on a breach of contract theory, but I wouldn't be optimistic. 

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Get over it.  It sucks, and I'm sorry but professors do this all the time.  There isn't much you can.  It really isn't a copyright violation on his part since it would probably fall under fair use.  If the question was fair and you studied for the exam, you should have been able to answer it.  This is no different than a professor telling the class what questions will be on the exam on a day when several students were missing from class.  Those students missing, unless someone was kind enough to tell them, are at a disadvantage.  You can complain all you want.  I doubt anything will come of it.  Suck it and move on.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You don't have standing to allege infringement. The dean won't take action. I'd say you're out of recourse.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm not sure someone who read it will have as much of an advantage as you think -- they would have to remember the whole answer by rote, and they won't touch on specific things your professor mentioned which will convey that they were listening in class.  If you work it like any other torts problem you should be just fine.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

Hey Now

• Sr. Citizen
  • This Is Why I'm Hot
    • View Profile
Oh so it's unfair when someone studies the test before the actual final, but it's ok when someone tapes the Rams' walkthrough before the Super Bowl?  Sounds like you might want to remove that picture and renounce your support for the Patriots before you go on with this fight.  Belichick supporters get bad karma.
Law School Yeah

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Oh so it's unfair when someone studies the test before the actual final, but it's ok when someone tapes the Rams' walkthrough before the Super Bowl?  Sounds like you might want to remove that picture and renounce your support for the Patriots before you go on with this fight.  Belichick supporters get bad karma.

lol  :D

mf22076

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
You leave my cheating patriots out of my rant about my cheating professor.  Besides if Mike Martz gave the ball to MARSHALL FAULK in the second half we all would be talking Rams dynasty!!

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I misinterpreted the rules.  AGAIN!  I misinterpreted the rules.  Good.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701