Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is a Laptop Computer Necessary?  (Read 1743 times)

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is a Laptop Computer Necessary?
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 09:29:02 AM »
You don't need to own a laptop to use one for exams (can borrow or rent one), but owning one for law school is certainly worth the cost.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

viv

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 09:42:29 AM »
You could rent or borrow one for exam days.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 12:15:55 PM »

Not all schools rent laptops...and honestly, i wouldn't want to depend on finding someone to borrow a laptop, too risky.

If OP has a desktop, then he should just buy a BASIC laptop just for exams...but honestly, i know many ppl with both desktops and laptops.  just stop being cheap and get a laptop--as someone mentioned, if you are spending 100K+ on law school, then buy a laptop, it's for your benefit.
Columbia 3L

viv

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 12:35:09 PM »

Not all schools rent laptops...and honestly, i wouldn't want to depend on finding someone to borrow a laptop, too risky.

If OP has a desktop, then he should just buy a BASIC laptop just for exams...but honestly, i know many ppl with both desktops and laptops.  just stop being cheap and get a laptop--as someone mentioned, if you are spending 100K+ on law school, then buy a laptop, it's for your benefit.
And schools are not the only establishments that may have laptops available for rent.  Anyway, I basically agree... renting is often expensive enough that you might as well by a cheap Gateway for $400 or so and only use it when necessary.  I only meant to throw out another consideration since a few people are arguing that you must purchase a personal computer because of exams--that's not necessarily the case.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 02:10:54 PM »
Yes, you need a laptop.  It doesn't have to be particularly nice.  Something basic that will get you online (to get emails, course materials, Lexis/Westlaw) and a copy of MS word (or something that can read/write MS word format files) is all you need, but you do need it.
Emory '09

LSN

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 03:32:59 PM »
My read is that OP has a desktop and wants to know whether he/she should buy a laptop in addition.

If this is the case, I think you can get by without a laptop...

He's going to bring his desktop to the exam?

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 03:37:16 PM »
My read is that OP has a desktop and wants to know whether he/she should buy a laptop in addition.

If this is the case, I think you can get by without a laptop...

He's going to bring his desktop to the exam?

Hell yeah. Just like these guys: http://improveverywhere.com/2008/02/25/mobile-desktop/
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."