Law School Discussion

Is a Laptop Computer Necessary?

rtqw

• Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is a Laptop Computer Necessary?
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 07:29:02 AM »
You don't need to own a laptop to use one for exams (can borrow or rent one), but owning one for law school is certainly worth the cost.

viv

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 07:42:29 AM »
You could rent or borrow one for exam days.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 10:15:55 AM »

Not all schools rent laptops...and honestly, i wouldn't want to depend on finding someone to borrow a laptop, too risky.

If OP has a desktop, then he should just buy a BASIC laptop just for exams...but honestly, i know many ppl with both desktops and laptops.  just stop being cheap and get a laptop--as someone mentioned, if you are spending 100K+ on law school, then buy a laptop, it's for your benefit.

viv

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »

Not all schools rent laptops...and honestly, i wouldn't want to depend on finding someone to borrow a laptop, too risky.

If OP has a desktop, then he should just buy a BASIC laptop just for exams...but honestly, i know many ppl with both desktops and laptops.  just stop being cheap and get a laptop--as someone mentioned, if you are spending 100K+ on law school, then buy a laptop, it's for your benefit.
And schools are not the only establishments that may have laptops available for rent.  Anyway, I basically agree... renting is often expensive enough that you might as well by a cheap Gateway for $400 or so and only use it when necessary.  I only meant to throw out another consideration since a few people are arguing that you must purchase a personal computer because of exams--that's not necessarily the case.

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 12:10:54 PM »
Yes, you need a laptop.  It doesn't have to be particularly nice.  Something basic that will get you online (to get emails, course materials, Lexis/Westlaw) and a copy of MS word (or something that can read/write MS word format files) is all you need, but you do need it.

moonpie

• No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 01:32:59 PM »
My read is that OP has a desktop and wants to know whether he/she should buy a laptop in addition.

If this is the case, I think you can get by without a laptop...

He's going to bring his desktop to the exam?

AmericanGunner

• Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 01:37:16 PM »
My read is that OP has a desktop and wants to know whether he/she should buy a laptop in addition.

If this is the case, I think you can get by without a laptop...

He's going to bring his desktop to the exam?

Hell yeah. Just like these guys: http://improveverywhere.com/2008/02/25/mobile-desktop/