Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is a Laptop Computer Necessary?  (Read 1703 times)

ExpLo

• View Profile
    • Email
Is a Laptop Computer Necessary?
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:12:17 PM »
I don't feel like dishing $800 for a laptop computer if it's not a necessity.  I'm a cheapo  :-\  Is it really necessary?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Is a Laptop Computer Necessary?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:31:43 PM »
no...but your life will be more convenient if you have one, especially cme exam time if you don't want to handwrite your exam.
Columbia 3L

InDenial

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:31:39 PM »
I'm going to echo that -- laptops aren't necessary for class, but at least for my year, there were a few exams where if you didn't type it, I don't know how you could have finished the exam on time.

hs1046

• 163, 3.82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:38:04 PM »
I would check with your school.  I know at University of Houston, for example, they are required.

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 08:14:10 PM »
I know one person who wrote their first semester exams, and did well. Then she switched to a laptop.  Why would you bother writing out exams when you're under time pressure?

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 10:24:18 PM »
YES.

I mean, why go through the trouble of having to FIND a computer in the school labs, or having to go home every time you want to type something? Not to mention the exams you'd have to write by hand (with a blunt #2 pencil)
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 10:32:20 PM »
Would you like to NOT have spell check on your one test of the semester? Not to mention the potential for poor hand writing affecting your grade.

jammer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 10:37:26 PM »
You're about to blow through $100,000 in legal education and you're worried about an $800 laptop?  :D Just buck up and buy the freaking computer. I'm cheap, too, but a computer's a tool of the trade. Does a carpenter buy his hammer from the dollar store? No. So buy a nice computer that will do everything you need it to do for at least 3 years.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 11:14:58 PM »
I agree that a computer is simply a tool of the trade. It's like buying canvas as an art major. Some schools actually require that you have a laptop (NYU comes to mind). I don't think skimping on a laptop is a wise way to save $800. What if your backpack gets stolen and it contains all your notes? At least with a laptop you can (and certainly should) backup your notes. I will say that I'm kind of a tech guy, so I'm a bit biased, but I'm not sure I could go without mine.

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 12:27:43 AM »
My read is that OP has a desktop and wants to know whether he/she should buy a laptop in addition.

If this is the case, I think you can get by without a laptop...