Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This may be the worst question ever but...Outlining?  (Read 3505 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: This may be the worst question ever but...Outlining?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 05:52:11 PM »

Correction: if it's a closed book exam, DO hold yourself to the suggested page limits.  Memorizing 50 pages is a waste of time.  But if it's open book, this isn't a bad idea.

Or make flash cards using an old outline that you've spent a few hours updating.  I hate trying to memorize outlines, and find good old fashioned index cards work much better for me for some reason!

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 05:53:19 PM »
I've only had open book exams, but some are modified (only your self-made outline and the casebook) and some allow anything (supplements that have built-in outlines and flow charts).

My first semester outlines were amazingly short (20-25 pages) but second semester the amount we went over seemed to have tripled and all of my outlines were at least 60-70 pages (and in one class close to 100 pages). But, of all of that, on the test I probably only looked at a few pages for a minute or two tops. The most helpful thing for me was an attack sheet that was sort of a checklist, to make sure I didn't miss any issues or small nuances.  The outline is just a crutch for if you forget a case name or element, really. It's more for making it and having it on the test for really small details, nothing major.

That is, unless you come prepared with canned answers in advance, that you only have to re-type. I think this is helpful in some classes.

TITCR, absolutely.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 06:41:08 PM »
I outline as we finish large chunks of material in class. Both semesters it's started about a month in. I like doing it this way because I'm outlining as the material is fresh in my brain, so I think the outlines are more accurate than if I waited until the end of the semester. Plus, I would not be able to handle the stress of outlining everything within the last 2 weeks of class. It's stressful enough with completing the writing assignments, and cramming in the last of the reading the profs all want to sqeeze in at the end of the semester.

Right now I'm making flash cards from my outline for my close-book Civ Pro exam on Friday. SUCKS.

slightlybehind

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 09:15:07 PM »
Tag

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 10:07:12 PM »
I was planning on making a thread like this too. Except I'd also like to know what "briefing" is? Just short reading notes on the cases you read for class? Seems like it'd be really useful to do, but I've heard people say its a waste of time. Would these be incorporated into your outline?

Also, another stupid question: in general, you get to use your outlines on exams, right?

Again, I am too lazy to explain anything, but man do I love google: http://www.lib.jjay.cuny.edu/research/brief.html

As to the second question.  Yes you can use your outlines for the most part.  Most exams are open book, meaning you can bring the course book, your notes, outlines, whatever.  Some of my profs would specify that you could only bring stuff you had written, some would say only stuff "you had a part in making", some would say "use anything you want, your own notes, commercial outlines and hornbooks, bring anything".  That's just something you have to confirm with the prof.  Also, some exams are closed book, meaning you get nothing.  So far I only know of one section (out of 5) at my school that had one closed book exam... it's not that common.

I think it depends on the school how common closed note exams are ... I had 2 last semester (my first semester - contracts and torts). And I have two this semester - con law and property.

For closed note exams, you probably want a really short outline.  My Contracts was 2 pages (B+ in the class) and I had a rule chart for torts and a 20 page outline.  A in torts.  I have an 11 page outline for con law, and our property professor made us outlines that I will study for our exam next week.

My outlines are generally short ... my longest ones are for civ pro (open note) - around 30 pages.  I'm not sure what the hell everyone else is putting in their outlines, b/c I include everything o.0  Oh well.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 12:20:34 AM »
I've only had open book exams, but some are modified (only your self-made outline and the casebook) and some allow anything (supplements that have built-in outlines and flow charts).

My first semester outlines were amazingly short (20-25 pages) but second semester the amount we went over seemed to have tripled and all of my outlines were at least 60-70 pages (and in one class close to 100 pages). But, of all of that, on the test I probably only looked at a few pages for a minute or two tops. The most helpful thing for me was an attack sheet that was sort of a checklist, to make sure I didn't miss any issues or small nuances.  The outline is just a crutch for if you forget a case name or element, really. It's more for making it and having it on the test for really small details, nothing major.

That is, unless you come prepared with canned answers in advance, that you only have to re-type. I think this is helpful in some classes.

I recommend all of you do this. This was my strategy 1L year, and it makes life so much easier (and although I don't have my spring grades yet, it worked out very well in the fall). Although I knew deep down that I wasn't the only one doing this, I somehow always refused to believe it and thought of it as my invention. Mine are really, really good. I was even thinking of selling them next year, but that would probably make things too complicated...

Did you do this, dee?

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 09:19:19 AM »

I recommend all of you do this. This was my strategy 1L year, and it makes life so much easier (and although I don't have my spring grades yet, it worked out very well in the fall). Although I knew deep down that I wasn't the only one doing this, I somehow always refused to believe it and thought of it as my invention. Mine are really, really good. I was even thinking of selling them next year, but that would probably make things too complicated...

Did you do this, dee?
[/quote]

This is awesome advice, thanks!  Are there any courses this was more or less helpful with?

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »

Did you do this, dee?

This is awesome advice, thanks!  Are there any courses this was more or less helpful with?
[/quote]

For me, it was helpful for every single open-book class. All of my exams sans one were open book (the one that was not, was a closed book multiple choice exam).

It's more useful for classes where the teacher puts a premium on analysis rather than sheer issue spotting. I had one professor who -- though he wanted good analysis -- made the issues very hard to identify, and a "rule sheet" of this kind was thus not as useful (because "spotting" the issues, rather than analyzing them was the real challenge)

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 11:47:14 PM »

Did you do this, dee?

Unfortunately I didn't figure this out until second semester when Maggs class (have you had him?) made it necessary. It seemed like so much work, but made things so much easier in the end. I think it also helped me spot issues I wouldn't have thought of if I didn't have the answer right there. But you can only really do the Rule and Explanation in advance, for the most part, leaving the analysis based on the fact pattern for the test. But it speeds things up a lot and hopefully helped grades wise. Smart of you to figure it out so early! If I have a mentee next year I'm gonna tell them about this right off the bat.

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 12:57:22 AM »
I've got a question: I just bought a mac, and I've been using a pc and onenote all year... I'm in love with onenote, and the only problem with my new computer is that I don't know what program will be best for notetaking/outlining.  I really loved how intuitive outlining in onenote was, does anyone know of any programs for mac that are similar and good for outlining?