Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best law schools for someone genuinely interested in oil and gas practice?  (Read 1071 times)

Maclock

• View Profile
Hello there, folks.  If one wished to specialize in oil and gas and for whatever reason SMU, Houston and UT are out of the picture, what are the best alternatives?  Tulsa?  Oklahoma?  Denver?  Colorado?  Texas Tech?  Baylor?  Anywhere else?  Anywhere in California?

Does anyone know?

Best,
Maclock

Maclock

• View Profile
Thank you for your reply, Matthies. 

Do you know if exploration and production companies actively interview on-campus?

Best,
Maclock

Maclock

• View Profile
Looks like UT has a dedicated journal for oil and energy law, so I would say that's a safe bet. http://www.tjogel.org/

And I'd love to attend UT, but I'm not certain that I'll be able to get there.  That's why I'd like to know more about less-obvious choices.

You're right, though: UT leads the pack.

Thank you for your reply!  Keep 'em coming, guys!

Maclock

• View Profile
Thank you for your reply, Matthies. 

Do you know if exploration and production companies actively interview on-campus?

Best,
Maclock

Houston has an excellent oil and gas program, but you said they were out for some reason. Firms that do oil and gas do OCI on campus at Denver. I know two people who got jobs in the oil and gas department of a large local firm from OCI at Denver. As to actual oil and gas companies doing on campus interviewing, not that I know of. In-house positions donít usually hire from OCI (at any school). OCI is usually used mostly by firms and organizations that need time hire several new employees, it does not make sense for companies or organizations that only need 1 or 2 people.  There is a section of the CO bar association for oil and gas law, and I think they have lunches once a month. You can join as a student member, that would be the best place to meet people who might have oil and gas jobs for you.

Yeah, Houston is out only because I hope to get advance standing for the LL.B. that I hold in another common law country and skip the first-year curriculum in its entirety.  Houston would require me to repeat the entire first-year curriculum (not something I am keen to do as it is tedious, a waste of valuable elective time, and a waste of my money) before deciding if they will give me any advance standing at all.  In the end, they may decide to give me little or no credit despite my previous legal study.  Their approach might make sense if I were coming from a civil law system, but I'm not; I'm coming from a major Western country that follows the common law tradition.  It's too bad, really, because I'd love to attend Houston.

The University of Kansas would allow me to skip the first-year curriculum and proceed to upper-level courses, and it is an excellent law school, but ultimately its appeal is regional.  On top of having limited oil and gas coursework to follow, it might be difficult to market a Kansas degree in Houston or Denver.

As I'm already working in-house, but in a foreign country, it would be nice if I could get my foot in the door at an exploration and production company in the United States without having to pay my "private practice dues" a second time.

Thank you for your continued interest, Matthies!

Maclock

• View Profile
And how I like me some Colorado!  What a wonderful state.

Thank you for your reply.  I'll see what DU thinks about my idea in the next few days, I should hope.

BILL82

• View Profile
    • Email
I go to Kansas, people say the oil and gas program is great. Many Denver firms do OCI here.

Maclock

• View Profile
I go to Kansas, people say the oil and gas program is great. Many Denver firms do OCI here.

Yup, no problem with the quality of the school.  I would suggest that Kansas should be ranked much higher than it is by USN&WR, but what do I know?   ;D 

I do worry about how far the degree will travel out of Kansas, though.  I had Kansas grads and professors from other law schools warn me about that.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Hello there, folks.  If one wished to specialize in oil and gas and for whatever reason SMU, Houston and UT are out of the picture, what are the best alternatives?  Tulsa?  Oklahoma?  Denver?  Colorado?  Texas Tech?  Baylor?  Anywhere else?  Anywhere in California?

Does anyone know?

Best,
Maclock

I'm doing some corporate oil and gas work now and I have to say that I don't think taking industry-specific classes would have helped. Just go somewhere with a strong corporate curriculum and you should be fine. As a junior associate, the most important skills you can have on an oil and gas deal is understanding the general structure of the transaction and being detail-oriented (for due diligence purposes). The rest you will learn as you complete more transactions and become more senior. Your best bet is to go to the highest ranked school you get into and take as many corporate classes as you can.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.