Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Heading to Grundy...  (Read 3000 times)

marystang67

• Buaidh No Bas
    • AOL Instant Messenger - maryStang67
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - maryStang67
    • View Profile
    • Email
Heading to Grundy...
« on: May 05, 2008, 05:34:28 PM »
It wasn't my first choice, but I can't afford much else right now, so I had some questions.

I recently went to Grundy to look around and kind of get a feel for the area, and picked up a classified paper and the Virginia Mountaineer to see what kind of places were up for rent...  I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on how to find housing in the area?  Or if you had any suggestions on what towns are nearby that would be a good place to look?

Also, even though it isn't one of the best schools, I was wondering if most of the students were actually enjoying their experience there...

The last thing is...Where do you go SHOPPING?  I saw a grocery store and a Wal-Mart far into the future, but is there any were else that I would be able to buy something besides groceries nearby?  If not, how far away is the closest shopping center/mall?

Any input would be lovely!  Thank you!

mtbrider59

• View Profile
Re: Heading to Grundy...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 07:08:10 PM »
Try Blacksburg. It's a ways- maybe a 2 hour drive,  but being in Hokietown gives you access to pretty much everything a college town can offer including some potentially low rents and roommates.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 07:37:14 PM »
No one should live a 2 hour drive from law school. Period.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

marystang67

• Buaidh No Bas
    • AOL Instant Messenger - maryStang67
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - maryStang67
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »
I like living in a more suburban area, but I don't think I would like a 2 hour drive to classes every day.  The rates for the area for rent doesn't seem to be very high.  I just can't find much that is listed and have limited resources trying to find anything.

Do you know of any other towns that may be closer to Grundy that may have more available?

mtbrider59

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 09:15:23 PM »
ok, as you may have guessed I spent some time in the area(mostly in Blacksburg but unfortunately only travelled through Grundy, its pretty far off the beaten path so there's not a whole lot close. Another place to check out might be Wytheville, another small town maybe a half hour or so closer. My uncle lived there for a while- a pretty darn nice small town, there's a community college there and its right on the interstate so would be an easy drive to get to a big city say like Roanoke(now there's something I didn't think I'd ever do; use the phrase big city in the same context as Roanoke- but in these parts Roanoke is as cosmopolitan as you're going to get). Southwest Virginia is beautiful and there's plenty of wonderful places to live- you might consider moving to Roanoke early if you can and explore the area from there