Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: REGARDING: "True Rankings" of Law Schools  (Read 1693 times)

Street Legal

• View Profile
REGARDING: "True Rankings" of Law Schools
« on: May 05, 2008, 11:47:09 AM »
Now that I have introduced myself to you and begun to develop "friendships" (to the extent that internet-based interaction can create such relationships) of inestimable value, I would like to initiate an important Law School Discussion. I have observed several discrepancies between the reported U.S. News and World Report Law School Rankings and the perceived quality of law schools as determined by the esteemed members of this community. I seek to reconcile these differences, such that one may choose the law school of the highest "true ranking."

In order to ascertain a "true ranking" of law schools, I propose that we must first determine the appropriate time-weighted coefficients for each school's historical U.S. News and World Report ranking, as well as its community ranking. Which of you, my new "friends," can suggest such "true rankings," so that an inexperienced poster such as myself may proceed with law school decisions?

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: REGARDING: "True Rankings" of Law Schools
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 11:53:24 AM »
I really think you must take into consideration metrics such as library square footage and  total library seating capacity.These are largely ignored in the aforementioned U.S. News and World Reportrankings.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »
Just get yourself a nice copy of "ranking the law schools"

You may have a shot at a T16 ;)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

themanwithoutaname

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 03:03:04 PM »
I really think you must take into consideration metrics such as library square footage and  total library seating capacity.These are largely ignored in the aforementioned U.S. News and World Reportrankings.

You also must consider how often undergrads try to take over the law school library.  It always aggravates me when some pre meds are in a study room going over organic chemistry, and my study group can't find a place.

Street Legal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »
Just get yourself a nice copy of "ranking the law schools"

You may have a shot at a T16 ;)

Hello, nealric. Thank you for your contribution to this Law School Discussion. Could you please provide more information on this resource? Further, what are the T16? I presume this refers to the top law schools, but would this ranking remain consistent given a weighted ranking of the U.S. News and World Report and community rankings (i.e. "true ranking")?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
Could you please provide more information on this resource?

The definitive law school guide:

http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/overall2007.htm
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 04:15:25 PM »
I really think you must take into consideration metrics such as library square footage and  total library seating capacity. These are largely ignored by law students with computers.

FYP