New York Law
7 (31.8%)
Saint Louis Law
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

(Poll) Howard vs. New York Law vs. Saint Louis Law

(Poll) Howard vs. New York Law vs. Saint Louis Law
« on: May 04, 2008, 07:42:17 AM »
I am currently living in New York City and would like to work in NYC after the law school. Howard, New York Law, and Saint Louis Law are currently my choices.  According to the LSAC statistics, Howard graduates are doing better in NYC market than graduates of the other two schools. However, since I am an ASIAN, I am not sure if my job prospects would be as good as African American students at Howard. Is Howard still a better choice for me?

Re: (Poll) Howard vs. New York Law vs. Saint Louis Law
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »
Today, I found very interesting data about St. Louis Law School.

1. According to US News statistics, 17% of St. Louis 2006 class are employed in Middle Atlantic area.
2. According to the National Law Journal, about 9% of St. Louis 2005 class are employed by NLJ 250 firms. 

It seems that even though St. Louis Law is in Missouri, its graduates are doing ok in NYC market. Is this because St. Louis Law is a solid 2nd tier school? I am quite confused. Any advice?

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 12:27:11 PM »
Your situation is very interesting to me.  I have also gotten in New York Law and St. Louis and have decided to go to St. Louis.  I am from New York but don't really want to end up working in New York.  I visited SLU and loved it, deciding to go there.  My view is that if you are sure that you want to work in New York, that your best decision would be New York Law.  I wouldn't necessarily bank on working in Big Law because even if you finish in the top of your class there are so many good schools in New York that it will be tough.  However, if you want to work in New York for sure, New York Law would make the most sense.  At the SLU admitted students weekend it was mentioned that the best option option for jobs if you go to Saint Louis is obviously SLU, however it isn't impossible to go to cities such as Chicago, New York and DC (Health Law). 

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:52:39 AM »
Thank you, jlube85.  What is the main reason you chose St. Louis against NYLS?  I also would like to know if my job prospects as a non-black student at Howard would be dismal. So far, Howard has received more votes than the other two schools...

jammer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »
I just have to ask...How did you come across SLU if you want to work in New York?  :D

I'm going to SLU in the fall, but I fully intend on living and working in St. Louis. However, I hear that the health law program places all over the country, even for summer positions. So, if you're even remotely interested in that kind of thing, that could get you back to New York.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 04:01:15 PM »
If by getting back to NY from St. Louis with a Health Law concentration, you really mean working for a hospital doing health law with a salary that will barely get you by in NYC.  You can get the same position going to NYLS.  NYC is the most competitive legal market, you're not going to have an easy time getting back to NYC with St. Louis law degree. 

If you've taken the LSAT multiple times and you're still looking at NYLS and the like, you should reconsider going to law school, it might not be your calling.

jammer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 04:20:47 PM »
If by getting back to NY from St. Louis with a Health Law concentration, you really mean working for a hospital doing health law with a salary that will barely get you by in NYC.  You can get the same position going to NYLS.  NYC is the most competitive legal market, you're not going to have an easy time getting back to NYC with St. Louis law degree. 

If you've taken the LSAT multiple times and you're still looking at NYLS and the like, you should reconsider going to law school, it might not be your calling.

Not necessarily. There's a lot more to it than that. Yeah, you could work for a hospital, but the health law field is diverse enough that there's a lot of opportunity out there.