Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taking notes in law school  (Read 2177 times)

uctosc

• View Profile
Taking notes in law school
« on: May 03, 2008, 02:39:59 PM »
In undergrad, I took notes in paper notebooks (as most other undergrads), but I know most law students take notes on their laptops.  Since I'm not used to taking notes on my laptop I want to know... which program(s) are best for note-taking or recording in class?  Any other note-taking advice you could give me is appreciated!! :)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Taking notes in law school
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »
Most people at my school use Word or OneNote.

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 06:21:20 PM »
I use OneNote and I love it.  Say what you will about Microsoft, but this is easily the best piece of software that they've every put out.  It just does everything you would want such a program to do.
Emory '10

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 06:51:51 PM »
Anything that precludes you from using the internet is good. This includes notebooks.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

hbb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 07:38:21 PM »
From the Mac perspective, I've used Microsoft Word's notebook layout view in the past, but have been using a Circus Ponies NoteBook for the past quarter. I'm pretty impressed with NoteBook, and plan to use this application for my law school notes.

justadreamer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 01:12:49 PM »
Not a big computer geek so I was wondering if OneNote is compatibel with windows.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 01:49:53 PM »
OneNote is a Windows program, so yeah, it is compatible :)

Remember that just because other people take notes on their laptop, it doesn't mean that you have to, or should. Feel free to experiment to see what works best. I've both used my laptop and taken notes by hand (some professors ban laptops in class) - I prefer using my laptop since it is easier to organize my notes and make an outline at the end of the semester. However, some of the pros about taking notes by hand is that first, you're not distracted by the internet, and second, it ensures you take down what is important, rather than trying to transcribe everything the professor says.

I strongly recommend OmniOutliner if you use a Mac - it's great for both notetaking and outlining.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN