Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Improving an LSAT score... how much is 'worth it'?  (Read 2095 times)

weez

• View Profile
    • Email
Improving an LSAT score... how much is 'worth it'?
« on: May 02, 2008, 05:42:07 PM »
So I got a 157 with close to no prep (ahhh) in October. I've put a deposit down at a school I could do to, and I'm waitlisted where I want to go (this year). But I'm thinking about retaking the LSAT to get into the wait-listed school, and maybe even improve on that.

So since some schools average the scores and everything, what type of score is 'worth' taking another year off? If I get a 160, only 3 points doesn't seem like enough to get me off of a waitlisting or into a new tier of schools, especially when it's going to be averaged. So at what point... 162....165, etc would it, in your opinion, become worth it?

Thanks. If this is vague I can add any information you want/need.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Improving an LSAT score... how much is 'worth it'?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 05:45:40 PM »
I think it would be very helpful to know the schools involved, or at least the LSAT ranges and how you fall in the GPA band.

For instance, if you had a 75% GPA but your LSAT caused your ding, the advice would be different from if the school was a reach either way.
UVA Law Class of 2011

weez

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 06:04:20 PM »
Bulldog,

My GPA is 3.2 from a private liberal arts college. I studied abroad, and did some post-bac work at the U of Minnesota. I graduated in 2006 with bio major, chem minor, and worked in a variety of research labs since then, most recently at the U of M medical school.

I'm thinking of going to William Mitchell in MN this fall with a big tuition scholarship. I'm waitlisted at USF, where I'd like go to (this year). If I do well enough I'm hoping I can convince myself it's worth taking another year off to get in next fall there (hopefully with money) or even UC-Davis or UC- Hastings (I'd like to be in the Bay Area).

Is that helpful? FWIW, I've just started going over some notes and taken 2 practice tests, both scored 162.

weez

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 06:07:47 PM »
FWIW, the UGPA search thing says that w/ a 162 USF is 85% to get in and UC- Hastings is 15%. With a 165 it's 100% for USF and 30% at UC-Hastings.

I guess one thing that's kind of disappointing is that unless I REALLY improve, UC-Hastings is going to be a stretch, but USF shouldn't be a problem. I guess a 170 gets me into Hastings 75% of the time, but a 170 is probably a stretch for me.

3-Elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 08:31:58 PM »
So I got a 157 with close to no prep (ahhh) in October. I've put a deposit down at a school I could do to, and I'm waitlisted where I want to go (this year). But I'm thinking about retaking the LSAT to get into the wait-listed school, and maybe even improve on that.

So since some schools average the scores and everything
, what type of score is 'worth' taking another year off? If I get a 160, only 3 points doesn't seem like enough to get me off of a waitlisting or into a new tier of schools, especially when it's going to be averaged. So at what point... 162....165, etc would it, in your opinion, become worth it?

Thanks. If this is vague I can add any information you want/need.

Most schools don't average scores anymore, they take your highest. Even many of the schools that say they do still average will typically take your highest if it is significantly higher. Start prepping seriously and after you've taken a bunch of practice tests, see what you're scoring. If it's a lot higher, taking the lsat again is definitely worth it. I took mine twice and scored 10 pts higher, I don't think a single school took the average of my scores.
Emory 3L

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 10:33:40 PM »
definitely worth it. if i were you, i would take a prepcourse or buy the Powerscore Bibles and study until the September/October test. If you do regular studying up until then you can significantly improve. My first diagnostic was a 157 and I ended up with a 170. A high LSAT can overcome a lot. If you scored up near 170 you could probably even get into the likes of Vandy, UCLA, or the lower T14 like Cornell and Georgetown.

Another consideration is your career goals. If you want to do public interest work or go straight to some kind of small firm, etc. then you might just want to take the scholarship (make sure and check what the terms are for renewing it, however). If you want to work at a big firm, retake...period.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 02:10:46 PM »
I sent you a PM, but for anyone else reading this, my LSAT went up from a 157 to a 162, and it put me in a completely different place.  I got money at a school that waitlisted me last year, and this year I got into much higher ranked schools.  It was without a doubt worth retaking the LSAT and waiting another year.  5 points is worth at least $18,000 in my opinion!
Boston College Class of 2011!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »
I would say that a 3 point increase is more than worth the trouble of retaking.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?