Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No-Offer to Summer Associate?  (Read 5353 times)

DH52

• View Profile
No-Offer to Summer Associate?
« on: May 02, 2008, 09:42:20 AM »
Anyone out there have input on how/when firms don't give a summer associate an offer?  Do they ever do this based on grades, or is it only if you don't work or act improperly in the summer program?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: No-Offer to Summer Associate?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 11:49:32 AM »
Anyone out there have input on how/when firms don't give a summer associate an offer?  Do they ever do this based on grades, or is it only if you don't work or act improperly in the summer program?

use to be it was virtually never that an SA would be no offered.  Now, with the economy, they are being a lot more selective about who they hire out of the summer program.  I would imagine inappropriate behavior during the summer program, inadequate work, or poor grades would be sufficient reasons and would probably be reasons for no-offers this summer.

Keep the work ethic up.

Oh, and my understanding is that you have a pretty good understanding at the end of the summer evaluation but dont necessarily find out till early in the Fall semester if you have an offer.  Now, I may be off on this, but this is just the impression i get and what I think I remember hearing.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 09:44:43 AM »

use to be it was virtually never that an SA would be no offered. 

Wow that's alot of negatives and pasisve voice in one sentance, where you my brief writing partner in LWR?  ;D

Oh, and other than that, yea I agree with Thorc 

that is my tired typing.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 02:26:59 PM »
In my experience it is more performance related than grades related: grades are supposed to be a proxy for quality of work, if your grades drop but your work is good, why would they care? I know a couple of people with drastic grade drops who had no problems getting offers after summers at very grade-selective firms. I am not saying the grade thing never happens, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I was never even asked for my transcript during my summer. I think they want my official transcript before I start working, but I get the impression that's to make sure I am actually graduating.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »
Looking at NALP for firms in secondary markets, I was surprised to see how many no-offers there were. It didn't seem uncommon at all. I was trying to figure out where to apply for OCI, and it was a little scary to see at least 4-5 people out of a 20 person SA class not get an offer, especially since those numbers came during better financial times (even if it was slight). I couldn't figure out if it's just more common in secondary markets, because it seems pretty rare in NYC and DC, or if there was more to it.

Best-Legal-Aid.com

• Check out www.Best-Legal-Aid.com for free advice
    • View Profile
    • Best-Legal-Aid.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:31:23 AM »
Normally, you have to do something really awful to not get invited back after a summer associate position.  These days, firms are getting hit hard financially, so they may look to trim the fat in their summer class.  Make sure you bill your hours.
Check out www.Best-Legal-Aid.com for free advice on passing law school and the bar exam!