Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2.6 UGPA and 149 on my first ever practice LSAT  (Read 6996 times)

The Knight

• Not URM, just dark. I know...it's weak.
    • View Profile
Re: 2.6 UGPA and 149 on my first ever practice LSAT
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 10:19:18 AM »
Diagnostic: 143.
Real Deal (Five months later): 162.

That's after extensive self-imposed study.  I peaked at taking a full LSAT everyday for two weeks before the actual LSAT.  I encourage you to get the Powerscore jank, and really get down on some study aids.

The LSAT is really all about how hardcore you want to prepare.  If you work hard, you can take the LSAT home to bonercity.
I'm really happy with my school!!!

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 11:12:25 AM »
A buddy of mine scored a 137 on his first practice test without any preparation.  He then studied his ass off for 6 weeks before the real LSAT and scored a 165...How's that for improvement???  I also scored a 147 myself on the real test and now reaching in the low 160s on practice tests.  I am taking again in June so we shall see.

This particular forum has been very supportive but other members of this site will tell you don't go to law school with such a low score.  If my friend and the others who have posted in this particular forum listened to those jack-asses, none of them would be in law school as we speak.

You just have to retrain the way your mind process information and understand exactly what the test is asking.  Simply stated, but not so easy to achieve of course.  However, with time, patience and alot of persistence, you can do it just like the rest of us.

GOOD LUCK!

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 11:23:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Would going to a Tier 4 law school be a waste of time?

There are multiple opinions on this question, but it really comes down to what do you want to do when you graduate.

Opinion #1:  T4's are a waste of time.  They have high forceout rates, lower bar passage rates, and their job placements don't tend to crack the biglaw firms.
Opinion #2:  T4's are great.  They let people with checkered academic pasts who've matured go to law school.  You can transfer if you do well.  You can get a job if you work hard and do well and do the legwork.
Opinion #3:  T4's are ok.  If you do well, then it's fine, but if you don't you could be screwed.  If you get into a T4 but also a T1, you should probably take the T1. You won't get a biglaw job, but if that doesn't matter to you... well then it doesn't matter.

Personally, I had a 2.87/167 and killer softs.  I passed up T1s and T2s for a full ride at my local T4. 

missladytwine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 12:57:42 PM »
I got a 149 on my first practice test. I ended up getting a 168 on the real deal. In between was six months of almost daily studying, about two hours a day. I used Kaplan and Princeton Review books, the LSAT Logic Games Bible and lots of real LSATs.

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 02:31:17 PM »
damn missladytwine, good job!  you think 6 weeks is enough time to up a score by 15-20 points on the actual test?

missladytwine

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 01:54:48 PM »
I think  it's different for each person. For me, I think the biggest challenge was not "psyching myself out." That meant I needed months of practice, so I could tell myself there was no way I could have done more and to just relax and do the best I could. When I looked over my earlier practice tests, I realized I was missing a lot of realtively easy things just because I was rushing and reading too quickly. For you, maybe six weeks is plenty of time to prep. I would recommend doing timed sections right away to get a sense of what it feels like to sit that long. Good luck!

chammon2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 08:24:43 PM »
Well I want to stay in the DFW area in Texas and therefore was looking at Texas Wesleyan. It's tier 4 and was wondering if that would be worth it since it is located in the heart of a big city?

Check out LSN; SMU doesn't seem to be too crazy about GPA if you can indeed get into the mid-160s as some have done after practice tests in the 140s.

alex_palazzolo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 08:40:17 PM »
Well I want to stay in the DFW area in Texas and therefore was looking at Texas Wesleyan. It's tier 4 and was wondering if that would be worth it since it is located in the heart of a big city?

Check out LSN; SMU doesn't seem to be too crazy about GPA if you can indeed get into the mid-160s as some have done after practice tests in the 140s.

How reliable is LSN though? It seems to me that anyone can post anything on there.

alex_palazzolo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 01:12:58 AM »
cool. sounds good.

BLUE EYED MONSTER

• See. It's a giant hat. It's funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 11:18:32 AM »

Work your butt off with the Powerscore Bibles and practice tests from now until the test. It's possible. I started at 146 but after failing my first time taking the test I ended up with a 169/2.9 a year later. I'll be at SMU this fall with $$$. SMU loves their high GPA's (their 25-75 is pretty high) but if you do well enough on the test it won't matter. Take all the time you need, master the LSAT, and good things will happen. If you can get to a 164-167 (very possible) you should get in without much problem. You've got time if you are willing to do the work. It's all about what you put into it.

By the way, I have a good working relationship with about 11 attorneys here in Dallas and not one of them has had a good thing to say about Texas Wesleyan. I even had one attorney volunteer to me unprovoked that a J.D from there is not even worth the application fee let alone the tuition. Take it with a grain of salt but I would be cautious. I don't want to bash any schools but just make sure you do really good research before you commit to any school.