Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2.6 UGPA and 149 on my first ever practice LSAT  (Read 6997 times)

alex_palazzolo

• View Profile
    • Email
2.6 UGPA and 149 on my first ever practice LSAT
« on: May 01, 2008, 07:26:15 PM »
What would be a realistic score that I could achieve? I am taking a Princeton Review course over the summer and taking the LSAT in October. Also, what would be some realistic places to apply?

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2.6 UGPA and 149 on my first ever practice LSAT
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:54:10 PM »
Your prep class instructor will probably tell you to expect an increase of 5-7 points from your diagnostic on the real deal.  This is a conservative, yet likely, estimate based on data of previous classes' performances, etc.  This range is about what I scored on my LSAT compared to my diagnostic, after having taken a prep class as well.  That is not to say that you can't put an immense amount of work into the exam and score in the 160s.

Now, let's assume you score in that range, say, a 156.  With that score, coupled with you low GPA, you're looking at T3 schools.  Decide on what areas of the country you want to work and then look into the T3 schools there.  If you were to score something in the low 160s, you could manage some T2 schools, maybe even a lower T1 depending on the school and your soft factors.  Unfortunately, your GPA is low, and your options are either A) compensate for that GPA with as high an LSAT score as you can possibly muster, or B) accept the fact that unless you break out of the 150s on the real LSAT you're not going to get into any T2 schools.

Of course, this all depends on the assumption that you are not a minority.  If you are, that changes everything.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:09:02 PM »
I scored similarly on my first practice test.  Then I studied like an obsessive female dog, studied the powerscore bibles and other books, quit smoking pot, quit drinking except once a week, ran most mornings, kept studying like a freak, and eventually landed a 167 by test day. 

My point is, work your ass off and take it more seriously than you've ever taken anything in your life, and after a few months of pushing yourself you could do well.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 08:10:20 PM »
Oh yeah, and my ugpa is actually a little worse than yours, and my cycle went pretty well.  I also never took a course, seemed like a waste of $$$.

alex_palazzolo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 08:28:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Would going to a Tier 4 law school be a waste of time?

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:38:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Would going to a Tier 4 law school be a waste of time?

I'm sure other people will want to comment on this, but I'll give my 2 cents.

Since you're not applying until next cycle, I would really focus on raising my lsat for now, and trying to at least get into a t3.  If you do end up at a t3/t4, be sure its in a place where you want to practice.  Lower ranked schools are very local, but can be pretty well hooked into their location.  Don't, for example, go to Albany law if you're planning on practicing in Georgia.

I can't stop repeating this enough though.  Don't be too discouraged by your first score.  You can REALLY bring your score up if you put in the time and the effort, and a high lsat + soft factors + good essays can really make up for your GPA. 

Try playing with the LSAC GPA/LSAT calculator to see how the lsat affects things...
http://officialguide.lsac.org/
Click the "LSAC Data Search" link.

alex_palazzolo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 08:52:05 PM »
Well I want to stay in the DFW area in Texas and therefore was looking at Texas Wesleyan. It's tier 4 and was wondering if that would be worth it since it is located in the heart of a big city?

GetUpGetDown

• Yer Straight Trippin Boo
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shupey02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:23:39 PM »
My first practice was a 149 as well. I was shocked, but able to raise it to a 159 in time for the first test by cutting back on some deviant behaviors and taking the practice tests seriously (ie. silent environs with a desk and timer). Not a huge increase, but good enough for the schools I'm interested in ...
Case Western '11

LSN

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 08:29:03 AM »
I had a 148 as my first practice LSAT, but I was stupid enough to take the REAL LSAT "just to see what I'd get on it" - not realizing the significance.  Luckily, most schools only look at your top score now! I bought about 5 books from HalfPrice Books and found a few of the free classes (including a weekend course by Princeton for FREE) that helped tremendously!   I took it again and got a 158, not as high as I would have liked, but acceptable.  I'd say you can shoot for at least that high if you are taking an actual course!

Also, my advice, and many others... target your personal statements to EACH school you apply to (or at least the ones you really like).  Do a lot of beforehand research regarding each school and put that in your personal statement - it seems to attract many schools when they realize how much effort you put in to researching THEIR school. 
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

KidA23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 10:13:51 AM »
149 is not bad at all for a diagnostic. Get the Powerscore bibles and drill for 2-3 months and you could definitely break 160.