Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working as a 1L....  (Read 1805 times)

Inquisitive1

• View Profile
Working as a 1L....
« on: May 01, 2008, 06:53:39 PM »
Hey everyone,

Has anyone worked during their first year as a full-time student (1L)? If so, please elaborate on your experience/s.

For those of you who haven't: could you imagine yourself working approximately 10 hours a week from home with flexible hours? Do you think said hours would detract from your ability to perform well amongst your peers?

Thanks

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Working as a 1L....
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 08:41:32 PM »
10 hours a week would be OK, as long as you can not work a couple weeks around finals time, every moment is precious a few days before a test. Anything more, especially the first term, is a definite No. I worked 2nd semester 1L 20/hours a week, and while it was harder, much less free time, I performed about the same.

Don't do it though unless you already know you can manage your time juggling multiple major things at once, you sometimes have to realize you need to get something done a week in advance, such as a paper, so that you can work and get your other coursework done properly.

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:44:19 PM »
I work. 8 hours week (but not at home...that'd be a cushy twist). I haven't felt any negative effects in my school performance. My school doesn't rank, so I can't say for certain how I compare with my peers, but I have good grades and think it helps much more than it hurts. It forces me to allocate my time wisely, and I think I get more bang for the buck when it comes to studying, reading, and playing.

The money is great. The longevity at work is great. And it is an impressive fact that has helped in several of my interviews (a couple interviewers thought the "to present" was a mistake on my resume, and it made for great conversation about managing competing interests and succeeding at both).

One caveat: I do not work the three or four weeks leading up to finals.

dbmuell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:33:02 PM »
I worked about 16-20 hrs/week, some from home, some from the office. It's totally manageable, but be prepared for some long days as you get close to finals and when legal writing assignments are due.  The best advice that I can give is make sure that your employer is on board with your priorities.  There have been more than a few days on which I had to shift the work schedule around because of some unexpected law school commitment, and it's definitely a must that you take off some time during finals week(s).  Other than that, there's plenty of time in the 1L schedule to hold down a job.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 09:40:54 PM »
You may want to check with your school before you commit yourself. Some schools do not allow 1L's to work. But, what do I know, I don't have a job.  ;D

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 10:52:17 PM »
I worked 20 hours a week and commuted an hour to and an hour from class and managed to do quite well and had a life outside of it all. A lot is what you make of it. It probably isn't for everyone. But I agree, make sure your employer knows your priority is school and is ok with it. towards finals, see if you can cut back more or take a few weeks off to prepare. Also check with your school. ABA limits it to 20 hr/wk, but some schools' rules are more stringent.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 10:57:51 PM »
I didn't work, and would not have wanted to.  I probably could have managed it, but I did very well 1L, and can't say I definitely would have if I worked.  Then again, I have an SO, and wanted to spend time with him, have a life, and manage some quiet time for myself.  Working would have cut into that kind of time.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 02:44:14 AM »
10 hours a week would be OK, as long as you can not work a couple weeks around finals time, every moment is precious a few days before a test. Anything more, especially the first term, is a definite No. I worked 2nd semester 1L 20/hours a week, and while it was harder, much less free time, I performed about the same.

Don't do it though unless you already know you can manage your time juggling multiple major things at once, you sometimes have to realize you need to get something done a week in advance, such as a paper, so that you can work and get your other coursework done properly.

TITCR

If you know you have superlative time management skills, you could probably push it to 20 hours per week, but anything more is risky.  It's not about 1L being difficult -- it's about 1L being different from anything else you've done before.

J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 05:24:50 PM »
Do not work during exams or the week before. I'll say it again. Do not work during exams or the week before.

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »
Work for a law firm. They'll be sympathetic to your schedule, and you can build some great contacts. It probably won't pay much though. On a sidenote, I made a ton of money throughout law school doing research and drafting for lawyers at home. I'd draft motions and things like that. For example, a lawyer would ask me to do a motion to suppress, and he'd mail me the videotape or audio of the hearing and any other discovery. I'd draft the motion and mail everything back to him. I charged thirty bucks an hour. Word spread that I was available and did a good job, and I did pretty well.