Who wins?

Dog
 21 (42.9%)
Cat
 20 (40.8%)
Blanket
 8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Dog vs. Cat  (Read 2111 times)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Dog vs. Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 02:02:38 AM »
BLANKET!

Watch out for ceiling cats  >:(
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 02:47:19 AM »
Everyone knows I hate cats, personally.

That said, I think it depends on the person.  Cats are a bigger gamble, IMHO -- some cats will treat you like *&^%, but if you get a good cat, they can make excellent (and quiet and fairly self-sufficient) companions.  All dogs will love you, but some are a pain in the ass to take care of. 

I don't want to gamble on a pet.  I want one that's loyal and loving.  Dogs all the way.

(Agreed with whoever said cats are shady.  hahaha)
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 09:14:22 PM »
If you get a cat when it's a kitten you can encourage and discourage certain behaviors. Thus, I've never had a problem with a cat I've gotten as a kitten.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »
If you get a cat when it's a kitten you can encourage and discourage certain behaviors. Thus, I've never had a problem with a cat I've gotten as a kitten.

Doesn't always work.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »

Doesn't always work.

It's mostly true, though. The best cats I've had are the ones that got a lot of attention and socialization when they were little. The ones that kind of do their own thing and don't care about people didn't have as much attention paid to them. I've witnessed this in most other cats I know, too.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Betsy 1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
C'mon, I think the answer is pretty clear to a bunch of people on a law school forum.  Cats don't have to go outside!

GodspeedMUFC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 08:53:16 PM »
As someone who has had both a cat and a dog I am well positioned to answer this question. It is really pretty simple to determine which is a better option.  Are you demented or are you a normal sane person.  The reason I ask is that demented people like cats and normal people like dogs.  Cats I must admit can be cute and they are rather self-sufficient.  However cats are sort of the animal version of Stewie from family guy in that they are perpetually thinking about killing you.  It is very obvious from looking at them, even when they are enjoying your company, that deep down they would like nothing more then to claw your face out and then eat your rotting flesh.
Dogs on the other hand, perhaps because they need you to feed them and take them for walks etc..., will generally like you, want to have you around, and develop an instinct to protect you.
Now if you’re a normal person this will sound appealing to you... if you are demented it might not and it might fill some deeply placed need to live with an animal that wants you dead.
I am now boring myself so in order to summarize I will cite this fact... if you were to die your cats would start eating you the moment they realize they can.  Dogs on the other hand will only eat you after many days and then only if they have no other food sources and cannot escape from your domicile. To quote a fantastically named web-site (swingadeadcat.com)

" The next time you're falling asleep on the couch with the television on, take a look at your cat. He's not watching you because he's enamored of you; he's checking to see if your chest is still moving. In the final analysis the only difference between you and kibble is most of the time you can get away -- right up until you can't."

In- St. John's ($$$), Seton Hall ($$$$), Temple, Northeastern , Suffolk ($$) and American. Brooklyn

Out- Boston College, Fordham and George Washington.

Still waiting- BU.

LSAT 163 UGPA 3.3 Masters degrees with 3.95 GPA.

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 09:12:55 PM »
As someone who has had both a cat and a dog I am well positioned to answer this question. It is really pretty simple to determine which is a better option.  Are you demented or are you a normal sane person.  The reason I ask is that demented people like cats and normal people like dogs.  Cats I must admit can be cute and they are rather self-sufficient.  However cats are sort of the animal version of Stewie from family guy in that they are perpetually thinking about killing you.  It is very obvious from looking at them, even when they are enjoying your company, that deep down they would like nothing more then to claw your face out and then eat your rotting flesh.
Dogs on the other hand, perhaps because they need you to feed them and take them for walks etc..., will generally like you, want to have you around, and develop an instinct to protect you.
Now if you’re a normal person this will sound appealing to you... if you are demented it might not and it might fill some deeply placed need to live with an animal that wants you dead.
I am now boring myself so in order to summarize I will cite this fact... if you were to die your cats would start eating you the moment they realize they can.  Dogs on the other hand will only eat you after many days and then only if they have no other food sources and cannot escape from your domicile. To quote a fantastically named web-site (swingadeadcat.com)

" The next time you're falling asleep on the couch with the television on, take a look at your cat. He's not watching you because he's enamored of you; he's checking to see if your chest is still moving. In the final analysis the only difference between you and kibble is most of the time you can get away -- right up until you can't."

As someone who started this thread, I am well positioned to advise you to seek psychological help.  Quickly.

oh noez

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 09:28:58 PM »
easy... get all 3!  :)

to actually answer your question.. I plan on getting a dog regardless of the amount of work they require, but that is because I prefer them to cats and have been patiently waiting all 4 years of UG to get my own, so it is worth it to me to get a dog over a cat. However, cats truly are more self sufficient in that they need considerably less attention. BUT! Dogs really do give you a sense of fulfillment... especially because they need you. I also want a dog over a cat because i know that a dog will actually make me exercise. As someone who values my health/physique, I know that if i have a dog I will be forced to walk him/her thus making me get off my a$$ and do something on a regular basis. I can't stand to be lazy. Also, I have my boyfriend living with me to help me out with dog-related responsibilities when i can't manage by myself.. if you are completely on your own, you should seriously evaluate your availability for a dog for the sake of the animal. generally speaking, dogs are better than cats! but cats can be ok.. they are typically less cuddly than dogs. you need to ask yourself what you want out of a pet. In my case, I like being needed/wanted and having an animal that likes to be near me, so dogs work for me. if you want an animal that does its own thing and pays attention to you when it feels like it, get a cat. Otherwise, get a puppy. Again, I'm speaking generally about cats.. there are definitely some very affectionate cats, but most are slightly aloof.

sorry if i repeated what other posters before me said.. didn't have the time to read them all!

pete.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 09:07:39 AM »
I'm going to go with...
... DOG!

seriously though, cats are lower maintenance though generally less fun (in my opinion)-- my dog comes everywhere with me. also, when i'm super stressed and but i'm forced to take my dog out for a walk or something, it's usually a good thing.