Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 168, 3.6 gpa Rejected everywhere  (Read 9623 times)

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 168, 3.6 gpa Rejected everywhere
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2008, 09:56:42 PM »
Not to be a jerk, but getting caught so many times.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3HAfHukEM

But seriously, #1 piece of advice is for her to get a consultant (Admissions Consultants or Anna Ivey) to look over her application from this cycle and critique it--she should probably get help with reapplying too.
CLS 2011

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2008, 01:49:02 AM »
With her past, she would be lucky to make it into a tier 1 school; tier 2 or 3 would be more likely.

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2008, 07:58:16 PM »
I, in no way, had any criminal or "colorable" past, but I did have to explain away the FIRST time I attended law school (I dropped out due to a pretty intense family situation - I had good grades and did not flunk out). When I reapplied, I hired an admissions consultant, and she recommended that I address the issue right in my personal statement, and discuss how my experiences since my first go-round (which had been six years earlier) had changed me and convinced me that starting all over again was what I really wanted to do. Thanks to that advice, I got into every school I applied to, and received significant scholarships at most of them. I had been concerned that no one would even take a chance on me again!

We can sit here and speculate all we want about the quality of the personal statement, or the impact of her criminal activity, but ultimately, she needs some professional advice on how to package her application.

MysteryJD

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2008, 06:49:08 PM »
Not to be a jerk, but getting caught so many times.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3HAfHukEM

But seriously, #1 piece of advice is for her to get a consultant (Admissions Consultants or Anna Ivey) to look over her application from this cycle and critique it--she should probably get help with reapplying too.

i agree with this poster

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »
It would be great if this thread would go away. Nobody has said anything new since page 2.

christophine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 11:23:48 AM »
Hi guys. This question is not for me, it is for a friend because I don't know what to tell her at this point. so here is her story:

I have a friend who has a 168 and a 3.6 gpa and is being turned down everywhere. She applied to mostly DC schools (that is where she is from so she wants to be there) and has been turned down everywhere: American, GW, GULC. I think she was wait listed at Catholic. I know she applied to some other random schools maybe in NY but I don't remember off hand but she has been rejected. This is why: she has had 3 pot possessions on her record and was caught shoplifting when she was 18. The university she went to she failed out because she was in a very rough patch of her life. All of this criminal record stuff was a long time ago and is so far from the person she is today that I feel bad it is having such an adverse effect on her. She is very intelligent and I know she will be a good lawyer. So I think she is going to attempt next year, but I am  not sure what will change in a year because the criminal record will not just disappear.

So what should she do? call admissions office and try to talk to someone to find out why she was turned down? She did write an addendum which was short and said that she takes responsibility for her past but it no way reflects her now. Keep in mind, she is 25 now, and this all happened when she was like 18. It was so long ago.

Any advice can give me to tell he, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

Apply to a school in another state.  Schools like to have geographic diversity and liberal states may have easier standards. That is probably not what she wants to hear, but it is the most logical answer. 

Advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2008, 01:57:09 PM »
1. Write a focused personal statement that directly addresses her youthful indiscretions and subsequent coming of age and reformation. Do not downplay the crimes. Totally own them. Accept responsibility. Explain how her childhood etc was troubled and she had a hard time. The girl was troubled and made mistakes, but the woman has come to maturity through suffering (the hard way). Write something like:

She regrets the past, but has learned from it. This learning experience has also made her become more tolerant and forgiving of the mistakes of others. Now she wants to be the most productive member of society that she can be. She realizes that some stigma from her past follows her, and that is fair, but her reformation is complete and she believes that a careful review of her application will reveal that she is now a mature and excellent candidate for admission.

2. She should be doing LOTS of volunteer work for charities. Soup kitchens, etc. That will help her establish credibility as a reformed and well-meaning adult. She can list all of these activities on her applications next year.