Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 168, 3.6 gpa Rejected everywhere  (Read 9560 times)

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
168, 3.6 gpa Rejected everywhere
« on: May 01, 2008, 09:23:55 AM »
Hi guys. This question is not for me, it is for a friend because I don't know what to tell her at this point. so here is her story:

I have a friend who has a 168 and a 3.6 gpa and is being turned down everywhere. She applied to mostly DC schools (that is where she is from so she wants to be there) and has been turned down everywhere: American, GW, GULC. I think she was wait listed at Catholic. I know she applied to some other random schools maybe in NY but I don't remember off hand but she has been rejected. This is why: she has had 3 pot possessions on her record and was caught shoplifting when she was 18. The university she went to she failed out because she was in a very rough patch of her life. All of this criminal record stuff was a long time ago and is so far from the person she is today that I feel bad it is having such an adverse effect on her. She is very intelligent and I know she will be a good lawyer. So I think she is going to attempt next year, but I am  not sure what will change in a year because the criminal record will not just disappear.

So what should she do? call admissions office and try to talk to someone to find out why she was turned down? She did write an addendum which was short and said that she takes responsibility for her past but it no way reflects her now. Keep in mind, she is 25 now, and this all happened when she was like 18. It was so long ago.

Any advice can give me to tell he, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

POTUS20

• View Profile
Re: 168, 3.6 gpa Rejected everywhere
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:04:12 AM »
Part of the reason she's being rejected might be that with that record she may not be able to be admitted to the bar.  I would have her call the ABA and see if she is even eligible.  I know they are very strict about prior criminal records, etc.  I really have no idea though.

Also, next year, it may help her to set up an interview at those schools. 

That situation sucks, though.  Sometimes problems follow us for too long.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 10:07:05 AM »
I'd second the suggestion to look into her situation with the bar.  You mentioned that she failed out of her university, so I'm assuming the 3.6 was her cumulative GPA at graduation.  What was her LSAC GPA?

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:08:50 AM »
That is good advice but I don't think she will have a problem with the character and fitness portion of the bar. I know some of this stuff has been expunged from her record and the pot stuff, she had such a small amount all 3 times that she was given possession tickets, not arrested.

Thank you for the reply.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »
I'd second the suggestion to look into her situation with the bar.  You mentioned that she failed out of her university, so I'm assuming the 3.6 was her cumulative GPA at graduation.  What was her LSAC GPA?

Yeah, I could have been a little more clear. She failed out her freshman year at another school and finished at another school. She received all (at least mostly) A's there. I think the 3.6 is her combined GPA that the LSAC creates for all the schools you go to.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 10:18:57 AM »
I would suggest that this cycle she should try to arrange some sort of meeting with Catholic regarding her waitlist status.  I'd also suggest that if that doesn't work she should consider hiring an admissions service to help her frame her particular situation.  I'm not sure how to best address those issues other than through an addendum, which you say she's already done.   

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 10:25:22 AM »
she should try and get the convictions expunged.  courts are typically willing to do that if these things happened a long time ago and she has stayed out of trouble for a while.  she can even show the court letters and proof that she is a different person.  She should probably also show them her lsat score, gpa, desire to go to law school, and that she is involved in community service.  expungement will help

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:34:53 AM »
She might also try throwing a wider net if she chooses to reapply next year.  A 168/3.6 won't get you into GULC, like, ever; those numbers are pretty good for GW, but her record probably hurt her; and American is notorious for yield protections and Catholic seems like they do some weird stuff with that as well.  I don't know what schools in NYC she applied to, but I can totally see how the DC schools were a bust.

As for suggestions, she might have a good shot at W&L.  They seem to forgive a lot for 165+ LSATs.

I think she did cast a wider net then I stated. I am just not sure where. I agree with GULC, not a huge surprise there but American she would have had a great shot at and GW she is certainly competitive at. Although she didn't apply to W&L which I didn't know was so forgiving for a 165+ lsat. Thanks for the advice

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 10:39:29 AM »
First look into bar admission requirements, if she's not eligible to have a career as an attorney, obviously she has little business and use for a law degree.  If there is a way she can get around it, she should find out what it is and do that before applying.

She should also apply to a wide range of schools - way more than people with her numbers normally do to see which schools will "take a chance" on her.  She MUST write an addendum.  Follow up with requesting interviews.

Lastly, it might be a good idea if she hire an admissions consultant if she is really serious about law school - like Anna Ivey or Ann Levine.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »
Oh, that's what I was pointing out -- that you'd really THINK she'd have a great shot at American with those numbers, but American has a tendency to reject or waitlist candidates who have numbers above their 75%.  Also, Catholic is a . . . well, Catholic school.  Pot possession probably doesn't go over too well.

I'll I'm saying is that if you pay close attention to the admissions decisions of those DC schools, it's not surprising what happened to her, but it doesn't mean that she can't get into law school (and at somewhere better than American, no doubt).

Take a look at W&L on lawschoolnumbers.com and you'll see that they love splitters.  So her not-so-crappy GPA might make up for the criminal activity there. 

She might also try UMaryland.  They feed a lot of grads into DC and her numbers are very, very good for them.

Yeah, I thought American was a safety school for her....Great advice though. I am just so uncertain what admissions committees think and how they decide, etc. I would think that maybe because all this happened so long ago that someone would see it as overcoming adversity.