Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Etiquette in using connections to gain summer employment?  (Read 1487 times)

wcombs65

• View Profile
Re: Etiquette in using connections to gain summer employment?
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone.  I am looking for help with a job but in no way will I make it seem like that.  I'm sure he'll pick that up as he is a partner in a nice firm and I'm a lowly 1L.  I also understand that summer positions will be very competitive, and considering that I'm at a T2 school, I'm already playing catch-up.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 05:20:39 PM »
Not trying to flame here but I just looked at the Guerrilla book on amazon. There is a section about getting a big firm job regardless of credentials... that's a little out of proportion. Now, I am not denying that good networking/interiewing skills can give you a big bump, but thats just not realistic.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »
Tag.

(for the heck of it).
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 05:54:17 PM »
I'm not questioning the credentials, I more think its a matter of overselling what the book's advice can do. I intend to check the book out when finals are over.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 06:40:31 PM »
He is still your uncle.  Uncles do not have to be blood relatives.  I would just call the guy if he's family.  Maybe get your "other" uncle to give him a heads up first so you don't catch him off guard. 

I know, irrelevant to the post, but, no, he is definitely not still his uncle.  His mother's sister's husband is his uncle....but his non-blood uncle's brother is not his uncle.  Think about it.   (e.g., my wife's brother's daughter is my niece, but MY brother is not also my niece's uncle.  He is her uncle's brother).

Wow, I feel like an idiot. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 07:14:44 PM »
Ive met her and heard her speak regarding the book and advice.  While I thought some of her advice was interesting, the fact is that she has never worked a legal job in her life (besides being no-offered after her SA job).  That makes me question her ability to give advice on anything.

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 08:36:59 PM »
The one thing I would ad to mqt's advice is that you shouldn't just come out and ask him for a job.  People don't liek to feel like you're looking for nothing but a handout.  Frame it as looking for information on the profession, the path of his career, and advice on how to tackle law school and/or the job search.  Most people are savvy enough to know that you're also implicitly asking for help with finding a job, so its not something that needs to be said.

Very, very well said.  Networking is a process, and by getting to know people, it pays off over time, not after 30 minutes.  When you network, everyone understands that you are ultimately trying to secure a job.  Believe me, if they do have something to offer you that will help, they will offer it ("Hmmm, send me your resume, because I know a guy at firm xyz who I think might be interested in someone like you."). 

...Oh, for that matter, have your resume available, but don't offer it...they will ask.  This may not be universal, but I've found in 90% of the situations, the person asks for it after talking with me.  I think it's a bit presumptuous to push it on them unsolicited.

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »
He's obviously an awesome resource. Get to know him. Cultivate a relationship. If you're near him, ask him to go to lunch. In my experience lawyers want to be helpful with the young guys paying their dues. Lawyers understand the favor concept very well. I wouldn't straight out ask him for a job. Most people with any sense of credibility/reputation preservation won't recommend someone for a job to someone else they know if they know nothing about the person they are recommending. But, if he gets to know you well enough and  he sees your smart and worth recommending, he may do just that.