Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 160 + 3.5 at Yale = WHAT LAW SCHOOLS?  (Read 5820 times)

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 160 + 3.5 at Yale = WHAT LAW SCHOOLS?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 12:49:26 AM »
Fact: everyone I know who graduated from a brand-name school is making at least 100k if they want to.

The year after graduation?  Puh-lease.

Friend from MIT: 120k at a consulting firm.
Friend from Stanford: 100k at a hedge fund.
Friend from Duke: studying for MCAT.

I bet they weren't liberal arts majors?
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

BulldogXYZ

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »
Studying history at Yale must have been so rad. (seriously.)

I know you're asking about schools you could get into with your current numbers, but that's not really the right question--so I'm going to answer the questions you should be asking!

You have enough time to significantly raise your LSAT, but if you have the attitude that you'll just settle for what you've got--um, that's bad.

Don't just self-prep. Get a tutor too. Take many timed prep tests and spend too much time going over your answers. Studying pays off, but it can't be aimless or just about familiarizing yourself with the test.

If you don't mind me asking, SAT score? It doesn't tell you everything, but it can help you set a reasonable goal for the LSAT...

That's prudent advise.

I am DEFINITELY retaking in October.  My goal is top25.

Question:  If I increase on my retake, should I consider a third LSAT to see if I can go up once more?

BulldogXYZ

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2008, 12:53:16 AM »
Ummm some of these people that have responded to you are acting very elitist. You went to a great school for undergrad. And just do your best on the LSAT and if you do well, you can improve your chances. But you will be guaranteed admission into a tier 1 school for sure. And if you improve even a 3-4 points, you can get into a T25 school with your resume. Good luck and don't listen to the elitists on the board.

Thanks, I appreciate the comments! 

Does anyone know which schools would place more value on college athletics on an application?

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 12:59:09 AM »
The two making bank were both Economics majors.  The other one also majored in Physics.

Now that's a shocking turn of events..

I'm kidding.  My advice is to go to law school if you want to be a lawyer.  The people that get into for the money seem to be the ones that regret it. 

Wallace, so many of my friends are just like you...they never ever relax...seems like a tough way to go though life...I suggest drinking more heavily...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 01:03:00 AM »
Studying history at Yale must have been so rad. (seriously.)

I know you're asking about schools you could get into with your current numbers, but that's not really the right question--so I'm going to answer the questions you should be asking!

You have enough time to significantly raise your LSAT, but if you have the attitude that you'll just settle for what you've got--um, that's bad.

Don't just self-prep. Get a tutor too. Take many timed prep tests and spend too much time going over your answers. Studying pays off, but it can't be aimless or just about familiarizing yourself with the test.

If you don't mind me asking, SAT score? It doesn't tell you everything, but it can help you set a reasonable goal for the LSAT...

That's prudent advise.

I am DEFINITELY retaking in October.  My goal is top25.

Question:  If I increase on my retake, should I consider a third LSAT to see if I can go up once more?

Unless you really under perform on your retake (you should have a decent idea of where you'll end up based on practice tests), I don't think a 3rd take is wise. If you study hard, 3 months is enough time for most people to max out their LSAT score--and for you this is especially true since you're already familiar with what's on the test.

I don't know that any schools value college athletics more than others, but if you package it right, it could be a huge plus on your application. Other folks may disagree with me on this, but an admissions consultant might be the way to go as far as figuring out how to market yourself.
CLS 2011

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 02:18:39 AM »
Fact: everyone I know who graduated from a brand-name school is making at least 100k if they want to.

My Harvard and Princeton liberal arts major friends (English, History, Asian Studies, Literature, etc.) are making anywhere from $70-120K for first year.

procrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2008, 02:51:03 AM »
Oh, wow.  There's a lot of room for improvement.  If you had the intelligence to matriculate at Yale for undergraduate and earn a 3.5, you definitely have 170 potential.

Wrong, so WRONG!  The LSAT tests a particular skill that is not necessarily linked to intelligence.  Most liberal arts majors I know - some of whom are brilliant - just don't have the capacity think in terms of game theory and abstract logical reasoning.  But they have an incredible command of language, and think wonderfully critically.  In fact, every English/History major I know from some fancy private UG did outright terribly on the LSAT, after months of prep.  Nor is the LSAT significantly related to LS GPA.  I know people with LSAT scores of 175+ who are below the median of my class, and people with scores in the mid 160s who are at the top of the class.  I also know of fantastic lawyers who did not go to "elite" (whatever the hell that bullsh-- means) law schools and did not get particularly high GPAs.  They're just smart, hard working and have killer writing skills - something every good lawyer needs, even though neither the LSAT nor law school test or teach them.

And yes, it's very impressive to have gone to Yale.  But I've gotta say, some of the stupidest, thick-skulled, dull-witted people I've ever met went to HYP.  Yes, some of the most brilliant people I've met also went to exclusive private schools.  But some of them also went to low-ranked state schools and community colleges because they don't do well on empty standardized tests or if they do, because that's all they could afford.  Where you go to school - UG or LS - will not pre-determine your entire life.  If you want to be a lawyer, just go to the school that you think will provide you with the best learning environment, work your ass off and be a lawyer.

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2008, 03:07:24 AM »
There's no need to get so intense about it when a simple number will suffice.  The bottom line is that the mean LSAT from Yale undergrads is at most 165.  That is below 170.  Therefore, not every Yale undergrad can count on a 170, unless you think there is some severe underpreparation going on across large swaths of the student body.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2008, 09:40:41 AM »
You're speaking to the wrong guy.  Sorry.

You know, it is ok to simply not reply if you don't know the answer.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2008, 09:54:47 AM »

My Harvard and Princeton liberal arts major friends (English, History, Asian Studies, Literature, etc.) are making anywhere from $70-120K for first year.

Weird - what are their jobs?

Honestly though overall, I would think people who tend to go to Harvard, Princeton, etc already have the connections and come from wealthy/elitist jobs and are able to get these kind of jobs easier simply because of this.  Let's not kid ourselves this is a factor.