Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AspenLaw Study desk  (Read 2246 times)

mtbrider59

• View Profile
AspenLaw Study desk
« on: April 30, 2008, 03:05:11 PM »
Anybody have any experience with this software. Is it worth it, I'll be 1L this fall.

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: AspenLaw Study desk
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:33:22 PM »
I've never even heard of it.  What is it supposed to do?

mtbrider59

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
Here's their description:

AspenLaw Studydesk™

Description:
AspenLaw Studydesk is a dynamic productivity tool that enables you to create, organize, search, visualize, and display your work on your computer in seconds. Most importantly, it is the only software on the market that creates a powerful digital integration between your materials and Aspen Publishers’ study aids. With AspenLaw Studydesk, you are better prepared and more engaged in the classroom so you can spend less time organizing and more time learning the law. Conquer law school with this one-stop solution for organizing and accessing your law school information.

FEATURES INCLUDE:
Briefing Templates to help you maintain a uniform system of case information.
A Legal Concepts database that allows you to connect the legal terms you learn in class to all related notes and briefs you take in AspenLaw Studydesk.
Flashcard and Quiz Wizards that will save you hours of study preparation time.
Word processing and highlighting tools allow you to take notes more efficiently than any other word processor available.
An Outline Management tool to create an outline from your notes with the click of a button.
A Miniview of documents that allows you to scroll through thumbnails of your documents in seconds. Great for searching information quickly during class discussion!
A Course filing system that allows you to manage your information by course and year.
Search functionality that allows you to find Brief, Note, Statute, and Source information based on any information in the documents.
Aspen Publishers’ study aids that integrate with your Search results, Legal Concepts database, and more!

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:47:32 PM »
I use the program.  What you have to realize is that legal tech moves a little slower than the rest of the world.  With that in mind, this program is good for what you need to do.  It's MUCH better than the previous versions which wouldn't let you print out any of the study aids you download.  If you take your laptop to class and your laptop is your main computer, it's great for briefing.  It has a field for each section and it lets you sort your cases by issue (note, it's up to you to input the issue).  The only downside is that I like to have my study aids in print form and for some reason I study better out of the E & E books instead of print outs.  If I had to rate it, 8/10
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 11:31:31 PM »
Seems like selling a lot of nothing to me.  Nothing you can't do with italics, boldface and control-f to find.  ;-)

There might be some usefulness in terms of searching through issues/rules etc., but most students drop this formal IRAC briefing after the first month or so.  I'm happy with my MS Word outlines and wouldn't want some artificial structure... but to each his own, try it out if you want!  But I wouldn't plunk down more than $10 for this.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 03:15:40 PM »
If you want to use any of the eBooks, you have to have it, but otherwise, I don't consider it too helpful. Personally, I would rather have a hard copy in front of me.

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 01:00:04 PM »
The demo looks interesting to me.  I think that as a 0L it could be helpful, especially since I don't have a LS "style" yet.  I looked at the Outliner 4.0 from storelaw.com and it costs more and doesn't offer the same integration-type functions, which look cool for exam prep.  No one has responded to my post about the SmartPen, which looks like it could give both of these a run for the money even though it is more expensive then either.

Check it out at:

www.LiveScribe.com

I'd like to see what others think.  I'm worried that if I purchase it, then i will end up with a bunch of profs who don't allow recording devices...

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 05:45:40 PM »
I know some people dont like it and I forget how much it costs but I think it was somewhere between $20 and $40... you can make flash cards, notes, outlines etc. on Aspen Study Desk... usually they have monthly promotions too where you can download free copies of E&Es, premade flashcards etc. also found it easy to organize notes. First semester I relied heavily on word and it was a lot more difficult when it came time to organize all my papers for outlining etc. Study Deak makes outlines for you if you want but I decided not to do that because I find making them myself a good way of reviewing. Regardless, it was still easier using that application... I would really recommend checking it out sometime... sometimes they even have promotions where the program is free if you buy an e-book. 

Otherwise, I am sure there is a way you could set up word to do it for you

I actually don't find note cards too helpful for the way I learn but it is really easy for those in particular

I would stay away from any recording devices. Most schools require approval from the professor and sometimes even the dean and most professors, especially the older ones, say no. Besides, a recording won't help you much. There is a lot of talk that goes on in class that will never be on a final. The key point is just to get the main ideas and their nuances down, and to know how and when to apply them. Passing comments or even random remarks of interest are not important and indeed would hurt you if you had them because there would be more things to sort through which will waste your time studying. For example, you will likely talk about the Quia Emptores in property class and the history of estates back during the feudal period etc. but I highly doubt any professor would test on it. It would be something nice to "spruce up" your answer with a passing reference but not an essential part. We spent about a whole class on that stuff and at most it was one short sentence or two on the exam.  So, I would just stay clear of recording or any other devices that record everything that is said in class

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 06:57:55 PM »
The problem with things like the "Smartpen" is that they require special paper the companies usually charge a ton for.

Do any of you use... paper?
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 07:19:34 PM »
I know some people dont like it and I forget how much it costs but I think it was somewhere between $20 and $40... you can make flash cards, notes, outlines etc. on Aspen Study Desk... usually they have monthly promotions too where you can download free copies of E&Es, premade flashcards etc. also found it easy to organize notes. First semester I relied heavily on word and it was a lot more difficult when it came time to organize all my papers for outlining etc. Study Deak makes outlines for you if you want but I decided not to do that because I find making them myself a good way of reviewing. Regardless, it was still easier using that application... I would really recommend checking it out sometime... sometimes they even have promotions where the program is free if you buy an e-book. 

Otherwise, I am sure there is a way you could set up word to do it for you

I actually don't find note cards too helpful for the way I learn but it is really easy for those in particular

I would stay away from any recording devices. Most schools require approval from the professor and sometimes even the dean and most professors, especially the older ones, say no. Besides, a recording won't help you much. There is a lot of talk that goes on in class that will never be on a final. The key point is just to get the main ideas and their nuances down, and to know how and when to apply them. Passing comments or even random remarks of interest are not important and indeed would hurt you if you had them because there would be more things to sort through which will waste your time studying. For example, you will likely talk about the Quia Emptores in property class and the history of estates back during the feudal period etc. but I highly doubt any professor would test on it. It would be something nice to "spruce up" your answer with a passing reference but not an essential part. We spent about a whole class on that stuff and at most it was one short sentence or two on the exam.  So, I would just stay clear of recording or any other devices that record everything that is said in class

Enough said... I was worried about regulations on recording, so if it seems that it will be a hassle (or worse, a waste of money) then I think I will pass.  I am going to try the StudyDesk, though.  It is $40 and I could find an easier way to justify that "waste" if I find it's not worth it.  The SmartPen is upwards of like $200!