Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Who is the greatest basketball player of all time??

Michael Jordan
 35 (72.9%)
Kobe Bryant
 5 (10.4%)
Bill Russell
 2 (4.2%)
Magic Johnson
 5 (10.4%)
Larry Bird
 1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: MJ OR KOBE?  (Read 6646 times)

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
Re: MJ OR KOBE?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2008, 11:42:51 AM »
Kobe had a dominate inside force had Kobe while Jordan had two of the best defenders, and the best rebounder in NBA history.

Fixt.

Kobe was second fiddle to Shaq in the 00'-02' Lakers' title runs, deal with it.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 11:53:57 AM »
Please dont even mention Lebron in the same sentence as Kobe. Kobe is hands down the best player in the league and has been for a few years now.

I agree, but give Lebron a few more years.  He does very well with the cast of players he has at his disposal. 

I agree, to solidify his name with Jordan, he would have to win with this team. Which I think he'll do. People forget that Bynum, who was one of the leagues best big man, is still hurt.

I can't believe you can say this with a straight face.  They have a Pau Gasol.  That guy is a beast, and a bona fide all-star-caliber big man.

But the Lakers are still dominating.The stats about Rodman are true, but it was his defensive and rebounding presence.Rodman won consectutive defense player of the year awards, along with a 6th man of the year award. I dont think Kobe ever had that....He led the league in rebounding while playing with the bulls.  Ron harper played on the bulls championship teams! He was in his prime than! Pippen was a three time nba all first team and 8 TIME nba defensive team. 7 TIME all star and NBA TOP 50 GREAT!Kucoc averaged 13 off of the bench! Kobe had a dominate inside force while Jordan had two of the best defenders, and the best rebounder in NBA history. Kobe definately has to win with this team...and a couple times at that!

Do me a favor and google all of the NBA champions for the past 30 years.

Tell me how many have won without a great big man.  Most of these teams (if not all of them; there are only a few teams of which I do not fully know their rosters) won with not just good big men, but dominating big men.

So, yes, Jordan had good supporting players.  But to win as he did in a totally unorthodox way is much more impressive than Kobe.  I'm sorry.

gatornation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 01:00:33 PM »
Lebron gets more points on fewer shots, rebounds more, and gets more assists. There is no empirical evidence that Kobe is better than Lebron.. just a bunch of players who say so. If you need evidence that players' opinions of other players are almost completely worthless, look at the player reactions to the Jason Kidd and Shaq trades, neither of which made any sense statistically and both of which failed miserably.
Vanderbilt Law Class of '11

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 01:40:24 PM »
Every team who has won a championship, has two good if not great players.  The lakers do have Pau Gasol who is very talented. Andrew Bynum would only make them that much better.  So who was the fiddle, Magic or Kareem? Lebron is a great player and if you look at shot attempts this year, he led the league in shots. Lebron hasnt learned to do the small things.  He doesnt play defense, is horrible at free throws and has to improve that jumpshot.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 02:10:38 PM »
  So who was the fiddle, Magic or Kareem?

ROFL

Yes Shaq was the most important part to winning those championships, but we cant conclude that the lakers would have won without Kobe.  They didn't win with Eddie Jones, who was also a all star performer.  And Shaq was there with Eddie Jones...... Every championship team has two or more good players...

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 03:49:47 PM »
Every team who has won a championship, has two good if not great players.  The lakers do have Pau Gasol who is very talented. Andrew Bynum would only make them that much better.  So who was the fiddle, Magic or Kareem? Lebron is a great player and if you look at shot attempts this year, he led the league in shots. Lebron hasnt learned to do the small things.  He doesnt play defense, is horrible at free throws and has to improve that jumpshot.

Did you take a look at those championship rosters yet?  And see how many championships have been one without a dominating big man?

Guess what?  MJ won quite a few with a lackluster inside team game.  :P

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »

Did you take a look at those championship rosters yet?  And see how many championships have been one without a dominating big man?

I agreed that most championships came with dominant big men.....The only team that I can remember was the pistons. Unless you can ben wallace dominant....

Guess what?  MJ won quite a few with a lackluster inside team game.  :P

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 02:14:32 PM »
I agreed that most championships came with dominant big men.....The only team that I can remember was the pistons. Unless you can ben wallace dominant....

The Pistons had Rasheed Wallace.  He's essentially a center, but they put Ben Wallace at center because he's a defensive beast.

Again, MJ could win without a dominating big men.  He might be the only great player to have done so.  That makes him the best player of his era.  While Kobe is the best in the NBA now, he's not the same caliber. I'm sorry. 

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 04:09:03 PM »

The Pistons had Rasheed Wallace.  He's essentially a center, but they put Ben Wallace at center because he's a defensive beast.

Again, MJ could win without a dominating big men.  He might be the only great player to have done so.  That makes him the best player of his era.  While Kobe is the best in the NBA now,
he's not the same caliber. I'm sorry. 

I guess our word of big man is much different. Rasheed Wallace doesnt even play center and never has. In portland, Sabonis was the center. In Detroit, it was Ben Wallace and now Maxille. I thought you were talking about a true big man. You know a Shaq, Mutumbo, Olajuwon etc....Wallace's main threat is from the perimeter and his three point shot. He isnt dominant in the post and isnt dominate on defense. Nobody fears his defense or shot blocking skills. Jordan didnt have a big man but he had the two best defensive players in the league..if you consider rasheed wallace a big man, than go ahead and put Rodman down.....