Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Who is the greatest basketball player of all time??

Michael Jordan
 35 (72.9%)
Kobe Bryant
 5 (10.4%)
Bill Russell
 2 (4.2%)
Magic Johnson
 5 (10.4%)
Larry Bird
 1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: MJ OR KOBE?  (Read 6798 times)

Re: MJ OR KOBE?
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 01:02:16 PM »
I honestly believe that the competition today, is much better. Athletes are bigger, faster and stronger. Lebron James is a guard. Back in those days, he could have been a center.  Kobe's arsenal is untouchable. He is by far a better shooter than Jordan...He'll have to win a few more rings of course...

A few more try at least three more and even then it would not be close because the first three were with the Big Aristotle at center, MJ won his rings with Luc Longley and Bill Cartwright at center, come on not even close!!!

Did Jordan ever win a ring without Pippen...? Pippen is arguably the best defender ever to play in the NBA.  Even when jordan retired, pippen was still able to get the bulls into the 2nd round of the playoffs.  Pippen is a top 50 great...and dont forget, it was pippen who stuck the clyde drexler's....Every ring that Jordan got, was with Pippen. And the bulls did not start winning, until pippen joined along.....

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 02:23:20 PM »
And they changed coaches, to the Zen Master, MJ is one of few players to lead a team to multiple championships without a dominate inside presence, Pippen was great, but how much of that was because of Jordan, Pippen is ultimately a great second fiddle, not someone who can carry a team, much like a Lamar Odom, although Odom is more of a poor mans Pippen, there is no doubt Kobe is great, he is my favorite player playing right now, but he is not even in the same stratosphere as Jordan

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 02:31:25 PM »
Jordan did have a good inside presence.  Horace grant, Rodman, Longley were all respectable players. Grant and Rodman were actually good players. Rodman was an all star player. While Jordan did not have a dominate big man, he had a world class supporting system. From pippen, to Kucoc, to Grant, to Armstrong, to Rodman, he has way more support than Kobe Bryant had.  And your right, Odom is a very poor man's version of Scottie Pippen. Pippen did carry them to the 2nd round without Jordan and even had a career year statistically.  Kobe has a supporting system now and we shall see. Kobe isnt blessed to have a pippen on his team. So whether he is playing iverson, lebron, wade, williams or tmac, Kobe takes on the defensive task of guarding them...Unlike Jordan who was also good defensively, but pippen was GREAT.

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 02:35:16 PM »
Jordan did have a good inside presence.  Horace grant, Rodman, Longley were all respectable players. Grant and Rodman were actually good players. Rodman was an all star player. While Jordan did not have a dominate big man, he had a world class supporting system. From pippen, to Kucoc, to Grant, to Armstrong, to Rodman, he has way more support than Kobe Bryant had.  And your right, Odom is a very poor man's version of Scottie Pippen. Pippen did carry them to the 2nd round without Jordan and even had a career year statistically.  Kobe has a supporting system now and we shall see. Kobe isnt blessed to have a pippen on his team. So whether he is playing iverson, lebron, wade, williams or tmac, Kobe takes on the defensive task of guarding them...Unlike Jordan who was also good defensively, but pippen was GREAT.

Now you are just being ridiculous, Luc Longley, Horace Grant, that is a joke, Ho Grant was a poor mans Charles Oakley, aka not very good, Jordan was better than Kobe defensively, Rodman was a good defensive inside presence, he provided nothing offensively, this is like saying Tony Romo is better than Tom Brady, just not gonna work.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »
No Not at all. It's like saying Peyton Manning is better than Tom Brady. In his prime, Horace Grant was a force.  You mentioned Lamar Odom, who hasnt made an all start team or been a force until this year.  I'd take Luc Longley and Horace grant over Samaki Walker and Kwame Brown anyday!! That is what Kobe has been playing with for the last few years.  Kobe is 28ish and has ten more years left to play....There are many other things to take in account also. As I pointed out, the modern day athlete is bigger, faster and stronger.  There was also no zone defense back than either......I beleive that Jordan is a better team player. But mono on mono, straight skills, Kobe....

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »
I think it verges on silly to say that Kobe is better than Michael Jordan.  And Kobe is by far my favorite player in the league right now.  What sets Jordan apart is the way he elevates his teammates to new levels.  What happen to Pippen when Jordan left and for that matter what happen to anybody who played with Jordan after Jordan wasn't around.  They just weren't very good.

Also, the competition in the league was much better back then.  The league today is an absolute joke.  You have a bunch of gangsters running around like their heads chopped off.  Oh how I do long for the days of the way basketball was played in the 90's.  Most of the players still had a little bit of class in them. 
Boalt Hall '10

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 03:45:36 PM »
Your right about the class of the league. But the modern day athletes are better. The big men were better back in the day.  But there were also a lot of players from back in the day who couldnt play in the NBA today.  I agree with Jordan elevating his teammates. Kobe is doing that now.  As you see younger guys like walton, farmer, vujacic and andrew bynum. Look at bynum when he first came in the league to now.An its unfair to say what happened to the guys after Jordan left. Those guys were the same age as Jordan and most of them retired or were past there prime. Pippen had a few good seasons but aged. Rodman won some more rings and did good. Kerr won some more rings and did good. Grant did good and aged.  All of those players aged, just as jordan did.  What happened to Jordan when he didnt have pippen...? The modern day athlete is ridiculous. Name a similar player to Lebron James? Chris Paul? Tim Duncan? Kobe Bryant? Dirk Nowitzski is 7'0 and shoots like a guard..Years ago, this was unheard of.....Jordan is an icon and people do not want to hear that Kobe is comparable and to some, better.  Every analyst has mentioned this and some even agree tha kobe is better....Kobe has another ten years left of playing.....

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 04:11:31 PM »
hmm just wondering.. in contrast to the players of the 80s and 90s..which set of players had more education? which players spoke more articulately thus inspiring young boys both on and off the court?

and hands down the players of the 80s and 90s outshine these new cats anyday.. kobe is definitely a beast on the court..i'll give him that.. but he couldn't outshine jordan in his prime... jordan knew what it was like to be part of a team...

these days it's whatever team v bryant.. period..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 04:49:36 PM »
hmm just wondering.. in contrast to the players of the 80s and 90s..which set of players had more education? which players spoke more articulately thus inspiring young boys both on and off the court?

and hands down the players of the 80s and 90s outshine these new cats anyday.. kobe is definitely a beast on the court..i'll give him that.. but he couldn't outshine jordan in his prime... jordan knew what it was like to be part of a team...

these days it's whatever team v bryant.. period..

It wasnt until the 90's that players started entering the draft straight out of high school. So it's only natural for these young males to be misguided. They were basically boys taking on a man's role. Many of them were 17 coming into the NBA. Therefore they had no education and poor guidance. I agree, the 80's cats were better role models. The new role prohibits them from leaving straight out of high school. But every era has it's bad guys....

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 05:16:12 PM »
how naive do u think i am? good lord.. i'm well aware of when b ball players were admitted str8 from hs.. and i know bryant was the first guard admitted... it isn't "natural" for  them to be misguided..but i already know that you can't handle that debate so i'll keep it light for the sake of this bs thread..

It wasnt until the 90's that players started entering the draft straight out of high school. So it's only natural for these young males to be misguided. They were basically boys taking on a man's role. Many of them were 17 coming into the NBA. Therefore they had no education and poor guidance. I agree, the 80's cats were better role models. The new role prohibits them from leaving straight out of high school. But every era has it's bad guys....
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...