Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Criminal record, law school admission, and bar admission  (Read 818 times)

Ulysses2008

• View Profile
Criminal record, law school admission, and bar admission
« on: April 30, 2008, 03:25:18 AM »
I'm considering applying to law school.  I have no criminal convictions, but two years ago I completed a First Offenders Program for a domestic disorderly conduct charge (a misdemeanor domestic battery charge arising from the same event was dropped).  Will this likely have an adverse effect on my getting accepted to law school, and might it prevent me from being accepted to the bar? 

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Criminal record, law school admission, and bar admission
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:46:17 AM »
No, just disclose and explain it.  There's tons of threads on the same subject.  Just search around and look at those discussions.

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 01:55:12 AM »
You're fine - there's a convicted murderer who is currently practicing law in the state of Ohio. Just be honest about your whole past and you'll be fine.

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 05:52:58 PM »
Probably not. Disclose it fully. It doesn't really have anything to do with the character and fitness hot button issues like dishonesty, financial irresponsibility and substance abuse. There wasn't alcohol or drugs involved was there? You're probably fine. If in doubt, call the state bar and ask. I'd be more comfortable getting the thumbs up from them rather than a bunch of law students.