Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pepperdine vs. loyola  (Read 10357 times)

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Pepperdine vs. loyola
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 05:15:34 PM »
Some people have claimed Pepperdine has the most beautiful campus of all the law schools in the country. Having been there only once, I would certainly not rule out this being true. Maybe not a factor for most people, it would at least make some difference to me.

Yeah, Pepperdine definitely has a nicer view. I've always lived around the beach, though. I sunburn easily. So, that's not a factor for me. 

Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

dreameca

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 05:36:33 PM »
Yea I am leaning towards pepperdine at the moment mainly because i felt like they really cared abt their students. at the open hosue they were talking abt how everyone chose a prof as their mentors, where the prof looks after them, chat with them over family dinners... go to yatch parties =] sounds like a great environment for law school eh? they also have a team in the career development office who already has a JD, worked in the field, has great connections who would talk with us and find out what we want to do, then go out and find interns and jobs for us in the relating field. i dont know how other schools do it, but pepperdine sounds kind of personal and caring in their approach. they also have a kinda "GSI" for each class who had succeeded in the class previously, taught by the same professor who will help us in studying for the final.

Havent gone to Loyola's open house yet. but any thots on this?

I love the view and the area... but it wont be a factor in my decision. despite the fact that loyola..... does seem kinda ghetto

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 05:46:47 PM »
Hey another point for Pepperdine is that this Loyola 2L idiot has been going around to every single law-related internet forum and blog and dragged its reputation down the drainer too.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
Yea I am leaning towards pepperdine at the moment mainly because i felt like they really cared abt their students. at the open hosue they were talking abt how everyone chose a prof as their mentors, where the prof looks after them, chat with them over family dinners... go to yatch parties =] sounds like a great environment for law school eh? they also have a team in the career development office who already has a JD, worked in the field, has great connections who would talk with us and find out what we want to do, then go out and find interns and jobs for us in the relating field. i dont know how other schools do it, but pepperdine sounds kind of personal and caring in their approach. they also have a kinda "GSI" for each class who had succeeded in the class previously, taught by the same professor who will help us in studying for the final.

Havent gone to Loyola's open house yet. but any thots on this?

I love the view and the area... but it wont be a factor in my decision. despite the fact that loyola..... does seem kinda ghetto

Those are great reasons, thanks.

LSN

dreameca

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 07:50:24 PM »
just got an email fom pepperdine's CDO with a list of law firms which participated in on campus interviews last year. its about 300+ law firms from last year. If anyone wants the list, send me a message and i'll forward you the email.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 01:24:25 AM »
275 of them were established in 2008 and is owned by faculty members? ;p

dreameca

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 08:11:40 PM »

That, I would not know. but I do know that when I asked for the same information from loyola... they said they cant disclose it, even to admitted students, they just said the majority of the law firms in LA interviews them. I dont see why they cant give out the names.... other schools do. its on NALP, but its just out of date. does this raise a red flag?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 08:43:24 PM »

That, I would not know. but I do know that when I asked for the same information from loyola... they said they cant disclose it, even to admitted students, they just said the majority of the law firms in LA interviews them. I dont see why they cant give out the names.... other schools do. its on NALP, but its just out of date. does this raise a red flag?

Well, I'd be interested to know if most other schools do.

I'm having a hard time deciphering the main pros/cons between Loyola and Pepperdine.

I have met many, many people from Loyola. I can say that they ALL had good things to say about the school. I've met older grads from the late 60's/early 70's, as well as within the last 5 years or so. Not only did they all have good things to say about their experience there, but they are also employed - a few of them being prosecutors.

I only know two Pepperdine grads. One is from the 3rd graduating class, the other graduated in 2008. He went to work for his dad's firm, and was not very descriptive about the program, though he did say he enjoyed it. It does make me uncomfortable that Pepperdine has jumped so far/quickly in ratings.

I guess I'll just try to sit in on a class/tour at both schools & try to get a feel.

dreameca - thanks for all the info.

LSN

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 10:43:19 PM »
Loyola has a reputation for being less-than-open about employment prospects. It is at very least a yellow triangle.

dodgerfan04

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 02:31:06 AM »
When it comes down to regional schools, rankings don't matter.  It does not matter who is ranked higher between Loyola and Pepperdine. 

As far as private large firm prospects, you are going to need to be in the top 10% of your class at either school to have a good shot. 

Since Loyola is larger and has been around longer, there are more Loyola grads in large Los Angeles firms.  Just go on some firm websites and filter by school.

On the other hand, Pepperdine has a higher bar passage rate, which is something to consider if you are concerned about passing the bar. 

Either way, if you go to these schools, you have to finish at the top of your class to get that paper.

Good luck