Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pepperdine Dorm Policy?  (Read 6646 times)

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
Re: Pepperdine Dorm Policy?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 10:22:40 PM »
So...Does anyone know about thier actual policies aside from the fact that alcohol is forbidden but the enforcement is lax?

We'll as a law student you wont be allowed to have sex either:

"Pepperdine University School of Law does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law in administration of its educational policies, admissions, financial aid, employment, educational programs, or activities. This includes discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, or veteran status. The School of Law does not discriminate against any person on the basis of any sexual orientation which such person may have. However, sexual conduct outside of marriage is inconsistent with the school's religious traditions and values. Therefore, as a matter of moral and faith witness, the faculty, staff, and students of the School of Law are expected to avoid such conduct themselves and the encouraging of it in others. This also includes unlawful sexual harassment, which is a violation of University standards as well as state and federal laws. I state that our employment practices do not violate Pepperdine University School of Law's Equal Employment Opportunity Policy."

http://law.pepperdine.edu/careers/cjob_posting.html

Although Pepperdine has a no-alcohol policy, they do not enforce or police the policy as much as some may claim. You're going to be going to law school anyway, so, why the worry?  Just curious.

In other words they do enforce the policy, and always retain the option of doing so.

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 12:49:50 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I've seen some postings about Pepperdine having a strict dorm policy on alcohol. Does anyone know what the rules are and how easy it is to get other types of housing around there? I went through enough trouble in my undergrad dorms to go through it again in Law School...even if this time the dorm over looks the pacific.

So as a Pepperdine 1L, here is what I know about the dorm policies.  There is obviously a no drinking policy as I have mentioned on other threads this is actually not because of Pepperdine's religious affiliation, it is because when the land was donated to the school it was donated on the condition that Pepperdine be a dry campus and that if they ever decided not to have a dry campus, then the land would go back to the heirs of the family that donated the land.  Therefore, that is why there is a no alcohol on-campus policy.  Next I would like to say that it is relatively strictly enforced.  There are RAs they are 2Ls or 3Ls that do check up on this and there is also campus police.  I am not sure exactly what the punishment is for being caught with alcohol in the dorms, but it does involve probation of some sort (I don't think it is academic probation though, I think it is to do with housing).  As far as I know they do also enforce the no person sleeping over of the opposite sex rule, but I have never heard of anyone being caught for that since I am sure it is difficult to enforce.

It is very easy to find off campus housing if you would like it and you will not be at a disadvantage if you do live off campus (I live off campus and so do a lot of students).  If you would like specific recommendations as to particular places to live and apartment complexes I would be more than willing to help you out since I am from the area and so I know several good places to live.

Also a note about the conservative/religious aspect of the university since some people decided to bring this up in this thread.  Pepperdine Law is as conserative as everyone says it is.  I went to the undergrad for a semester and I can tell you that there is a huge difference between the two.  While I will concede the fact that Pepperdine is more conservative than most law schools, it is not overly conservative.  I happen to be very liberal and would be the first to tell you if it was really that terrible.  I also see it as an interesting learning experience because I learn to articulate my political beliefs better and get to hear more from the other side then I might otherwise.  The faculty is about 50/50, it gets the reputation of being more conservative because most schools are 90/10 liberal/conservative and because some of our more prominent professors are conservative.

As far as the religious aspect goes, Pepperdine is very accepting of all relgions and has never tried to force Christianity on me.  One of my professors also happens to be a Rabbi.  The religious aspect is there for the people who want it, but if you are not interested in that then they are ok with that too.

Since you mentioned Straus, I would also like to add that I think that is an excellent program and that if you are really interested in that you should look into the joint JD/MDR program.  If you have any more questions about Straus I can also answer those.

Here are what that actual rules say if you were interested in the official policy and it does mention some of the punishments (I must say that this policy on paper sounds a lot more strict then what I have heard or seen, but I just wanted to give you the proper information, I would say that this policy is probably more strictly enforced with the undergrad students, especially the policies to do with coming home after drinking and being drunk on campus (I think that mainly applies if you are really being disruptive and obnoxious)):

Regulations and Sanctions Regarding Alcohol and Other Drugs
Students are responsible for conforming their behavior to Federal, State, and local law, and to the
University’s Policy on Alcohol and Other Drugs. When violations of law or policy come to the
attention of University officials, students may be referred for criminal prosecution and University
sanctions may be imposed. Harm to persons or damage to either private or University property arising
from the actions of intoxicated individuals on the premises of the University will be the full and sole
responsibility of such individuals.
1. The consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages or possession of empty containers is
prohibited on University property or at any University-sponsored event or activity, regardless
of the student’s age.
2. It is a violation to be in the company of others who are drinking alcohol, using a controlled
substance, or displaying alcohol containers or drug-related paraphernalia on University
property.
3. It is a violation to misrepresent one’s age for the purposes of purchasing or consuming
alcohol. This includes the manufacture, sale, distribution, promotion, possession, or attempt
to obtain false identification. Possessing a fake ID may result in University probation on the
first offense.
4. Drunkenness, on or off campus, is not consistent with the moral standards of the University
and may result, minimally, in University probation on the first offense and suspension on the
University Policies
second offense. Drunkenness is defined as a blood alcohol content of .08% or more and/or as
offensive, disruptive, destructive, hazardous, and/or vulgar conduct during or following the
consumption of alcoholic beverages.
5. Operating a motor vehicle, on or off campus, while under the influence of alcohol or a
controlled substance is a serious threat to oneself and the community and may result in
immediate suspension, expulsion, or dismissal. Anyone who injures another person as a
result of driving under the influence may be permanently dismissed.
6. The attempt to obtain, use, possess, distribute, or sell, any potentially harmful (e.g.,
prescription drugs) or illegal drug (including marijuana) or drug-related paraphernalia
(including hookahs) is strictly prohibited. Anyone involved in the sale or distribution of
drugs on or off-campus may be dismissed immediately.
7. The possession or presence of any amount of a controlled substance is prohibited. This
includes, but is not limited to, the presence of marijuana smoke or odor, small “roaches,” or
residue found in baggies, pipes, or other paraphernalia. Possession or presence of marijuana
or other controlled substances may result, minimally, in suspension.
8. Promoting the consumption of drugs or alcoholic beverages may not be undertaken within the
confines of University properties or through University-sponsored or approved publications.
9. Any student or student organization found supplying alcohol at University-sponsored offcampus
events will be subject to disciplinary action. The University views participation in
hosting a party in which alcohol is available to underage drinkers as a very serious matter.
10. Any student leader (including, but not limited to, Orientation Leaders, RAs, and Student
Service Officers) who promotes or supplies alcohol or other controlled substances may be
immediately suspended, expelled, or dismissed from the University. Examples of promoting
alcohol/controlled substances include advertising parties either verbally or with flyers and
inviting or driving underage students to parties where alcohol is present.
11. Hosting or in any way assisting or promoting an off-campus gathering that includes underage
drinking or drunkenness is a violation of University policy and may result in suspension.
Those living at the location where the party is held may be held responsible as hosts
regardless of who provides the alcohol.
12. Any student who encourages another to consume alcoholic beverages or any substance as a
means to induce that individual to engage in behavior that would otherwise be against that
person’s will is subject to dismissal.
13. Any student who sexually assaults or attempts to sexuallysexually assault another person who is
intoxicated is subject to immediate dismissal.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 01:40:14 AM »
There is obviously a no drinking policy as I have mentioned on other threads this is actually not because of Pepperdine's religious affiliation

That land probably would not have been donated if it were not a religious school to begin with.

The whole being treated like a 15 year old at boarding school thing would drive me nuts (but I suppose to each his own). I do think there is some utility in going to a conservative law school since they seem to place very well with conservative judges or with government agencies (when there is a republican in the white house). I seem to recall Alito hired a Pepperdine grad for next year.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 08:32:07 PM »
No sex, no drugs ...is Rock and Roll allowed at Pepperdine?
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 04:19:36 PM »

That land probably would not have been donated if it were not a religious school to begin with.

Actually when the land was donated the family was choosing between two schools (the other was USC, which is not religious affiliated) so the land could have gone to another school that was not religiously affiliated, but for whatever reason the family chose Pepperdine (I have no idea whether or not that had anything to do with the religious affliation or not).

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 04:29:07 PM »
The staff are known to be friendly. I mean SUPER friendly  ;).

Yes indeedily.

officeguy

• ? ? ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »
The staff are known to be friendly. I mean SUPER friendly  ;).

Yes indeedily.

lol
"I want an anti-gravity machine. I saw it in a movie. You drink the potion, and then you just start floating all around"