Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Soooo Confused...  (Read 469 times)

Blondie918

• View Profile
Soooo Confused...
« on: April 29, 2008, 04:32:49 PM »
I have been accepted to Duquesne's PT program and am guaranteed a job at the Pittsburgh office for the firm I work for, but I have been waitlisted at Widener... I am not sure what to do, do I remain on Widener's waitlist?  What do you think is the better school?  I realize that these are not the greatest of options, but for personal reasons I have to remain within driving distance of my home.  I do want to practice in PA upon graduation, any advice would be great!

GodspeedMUFC

• View Profile
Re: Soooo Confused...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 06:45:28 PM »
Accept Duquesne's offer and remain on the waiting list at Widener. Reality is a very small percentage of students make it off the waiting list and if they do it tends to be at really awkward times ie when you are at orientation for the school you have decided to attend. That having been said why not keep your options open.

Don't know much about either school but I have heard two things about Duquesne 1) they have a good alumni network if you want to practise in western PA and 2) Bring your rosary because it is ubber Catholic (not that there is anything wrong with that).
The one thing I know about Widener is that they grade on a C curve and that really really deeply sucks for you if you are a student there. Granted prospective employers should look at your percentile rank and not your GPA but it would be naive to think that having a very low GPA because of a tough grading curve isn't going to negatively impact your job opportunities after graduation.

Ultimately I don't think either school is really better so I would just stay on the waiting list at Widener and forget about it,  while mentally preparing to attend Duquesne in the Fall.

Hope this helped.
In- St. John's ($$$), Seton Hall ($$$$), Temple, Northeastern , Suffolk ($$) and American. Brooklyn

Out- Boston College, Fordham and George Washington.

Still waiting- BU.

LSAT 163 UGPA 3.3 Masters degrees with 3.95 GPA.