Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law firns pay off student loans?  (Read 3178 times)

need advice 123

• View Profile
Law firns pay off student loans?
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:11:22 PM »
I was talking to someone at the weekend who mentioned that some law firms (specfic types of law firms were not discussed) will actually pay of your student loans for you.  Does this really happen?  It seems a bit strange that a company would be willing to pay off someones loans.  For all they know they could just be taking the job for no other reason than to get there loans paid off and then they may leave to pursue something else. 

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law firns pay off student loans?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 02:15:55 PM »
I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about, but many public interest law firms and DA/PD offices will pay a certain monthly amount toward your loans.  Congress was recently considering a bill to forgive a certain amount of debt to lawyers who worked in public interest or DA/PD offices.  I believe the terms were if you paid on time for ten years, the remaining balance would be forgiven.

I'm not sure if that passed.

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:16:10 PM »
They do...it's called a salary.  :D
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 02:19:41 PM »
Hey, it happened in The Firm, it must be true!

Grisham Novels = Real Life
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:54:48 PM »
Hey, it happened in The Firm, it must be true!

Grisham Novels = Real Life

Haha, I'm glad you mentioned that -- it was what I came on this thread to say.

Gotta watch out for those firms though, cuz first of all you'll have to live in Memphis, and second of all you'll have to work for the mafia.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 07:58:22 AM »
Oh God!  Live in Memphis??
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 08:23:06 AM »
yes, this bill did pass. Basically it says that if you work 10 years in government, public interest, or a related field, your loans will be forgiven. You can access detailed info here:

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/news/releases/documents/Forgiveness_000.pdf

Please note that I am certainly not an expert on this new program.

You must read and discern for yourself whether or not this method will or will not work for you. 

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about, but many public interest law firms and DA/PD offices will pay a certain monthly amount toward your loans.  Congress was recently considering a bill to forgive a certain amount of debt to lawyers who worked in public interest or DA/PD offices.  I believe the terms were if you paid on time for ten years, the remaining balance would be forgiven.

Yossarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 09:33:09 AM »
Thanks for linking that article AJ, you just made my month
W&L '11

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 10:59:40 AM »
yes, this bill did pass. Basically it says that if you work 10 years in government, public interest, or a related field, your loans will be forgiven. You can access detailed info here:

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/news/releases/documents/Forgiveness_000.pdf

Its your "federal loans" that will be forgiven. Not your private loans. Pretty big distinction there.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 12:16:05 PM »
Do GradPlus loans count?  IF so that would be most people's total debt.