Law School Discussion

So lost

So lost
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:17:24 AM »
So my only acceptances thus far have been from third tiers.  I graduated from Columbia with a 3.17 gpa but I tanked the LSAT with a 153 (some outta control circumstances prevented me from really studying)  I've squeaked by with a few acceptances at some lower T2s and T3s.  I have 53,000 in debt from college and if I got a job in my field now I could probably rake in about 50,000 a year.  I'm wondering if it's even worth it to go to law school. Waiting a year and retaking the LSATs is not really an option.  I'm just kinda lost....someone please tell me what to do with my life...should i go to a crap law school and end up making only like 20 k more than i could make now or f*ck it all and get a job.   

Re: So lost
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »
I hope you have a really good explanation why retaking next year is "not really an option."

I agree. 

Why not work for a year, retake the LSAT, then reapply?

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 11:22:01 AM »
Getting a job is an option but waiting a year or two and retaking isn't?

Why?

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:25:21 AM »
me and my fiance plan on getting married after we're both done school...If I'm going to law school I either want to start next Fall or not at all.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 12:09:15 PM »
This is your future career you're talking about... I really think if it's important to you to go to law school you should be more flexible than saying you "won't retake".  If you are really that inflexible and will either go "now or never" then maybe you should reconsider if law is really what you want to do anyway.  If you are really unhappy with your Tier 2/3 options it seems like you would be willing to put some effort into changing your situation to achieve your goals.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:15:30 PM »
me and my fiance plan on getting married after we're both done school...If I'm going to law school I either want to start next Fall or not at all.

Three years is a long time, and a lot can happen, even in a committed relationship.  So what happens if you put off law school, then your partner decides s/he doesn't want to get married down the line?  You're essentially making a decision that will effect the rest of your life because you can't/won't wait an extra year. 

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:18:04 PM »
You're essentially making a decision that will effect the rest of your life because you can't/won't wait an extra year. 

I don't know if it's that important.  But it will definitely affect the rest of his life.

[/grammar_nazi]

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 12:28:33 PM »
first of all, i'm a she...

and second it's not that I hate my 2nd tier choices, i'm just afraid that I won't be able to graduate with a job that pays enough to justify going to law school at all. 

What about transferring? how much does my bad lsat come into play if i fight to the top of my 1L class at a 2nd tier school.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:30:48 PM »
first of all, i'm a she...

and second it's not that I hate my 2nd tier choices, i'm just afraid that I won't be able to graduate with a job that pays enough to justify going to law school at all. 

What about transferring? how much does my bad lsat come into play if i fight to the top of my 1L class at a 2nd tier school.