Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice on My Situation?  (Read 1536 times)

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on My Situation?
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 04:05:54 AM »
1.  Don't panic.
2.  Join clinics/journals.
3.  PM Matthies on networking advice.
4.  Buy the book he's going to recommend ("Guerilla Tactics ... Legal Job of Your Dreams").
5.  Read it this summer, take it to heart.
6.  Don't panic.

An upward trend in grades will help.  You should realize right now that there are a number of alternative routes beyond the typical 2L->firm routine.  If you have an area of the law that already interests you, this is a great start for networking.  And by far the most jobs in the legal world are the result of inside contacts, NOT OCI/advertising.

That brings me to the last point.

7.  Don't panic.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 01:58:25 PM »
Work some place for free your first summer. My grades weren't bad. I was in the top quarter actually, but I volunteered to work for a judge and at the end of the summer he was pretty much like, "where do you want to work? Pick it and I'll make it happen." I ended up with my dream job, and he constantly backs my play for me. Working for that judge was the smartest thing I ever did. If a judge likes you, it goes along way. All you need is the opportunity to show someone you're smart. Most people won't pass on free labor. I hooked my friend up with that judge last summer, and now he's sitting pretty with a big law summer job without an interview.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 04:35:07 PM »
Work some place for free your first summer. My grades weren't bad. I was in the top quarter actually, but I volunteered to work for a judge and at the end of the summer he was pretty much like, "where do you want to work? Pick it and I'll make it happen." I ended up with my dream job, and he constantly backs my play for me. Working for that judge was the smartest thing I ever did. If a judge likes you, it goes along way. All you need is the opportunity to show someone you're smart. Most people won't pass on free labor. I hooked my friend up with that judge last summer, and now he's sitting pretty with a big law summer job without an interview.

Yeah, this is pretty much the ticket.  Free work for the right person turns you into gold.  Back yourself.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all.