Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop Question- Better to buy now or in 3 months???  (Read 8211 times)

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Question- Better to buy now or in 3 months???
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2008, 12:46:24 PM »
New model line ups across the board are supposed to come out at the end of June / early July.

Sorry buddy, but montevina was postponed.  Now July 14th through early August.  I'm kinda wondering whether I'll have time to get one before school starts.

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6564602.html

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2008, 01:04:25 PM »
There is always a model refresh at the end of June.

I work at Best Buy; currently, all of our laptops have a "out of stock date" between June 26th and 28th.

We call it the summer refresh.

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2008, 05:01:25 PM »
I'm about to buy a macbook but I hear there is gonna be a new one released soon. IS there any truth to that.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2008, 06:54:14 PM »
I'm about to buy a macbook but I hear there is gonna be a new one released soon. IS there any truth to that.

Yeah, intel's releasing their new stuff late july/early august.  It's a little later than expected, but laptops will be faster and use less power then.

protokurios

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2008, 07:59:31 PM »
I read a review that said that the T61's battery life wasn't very good (2.5 hours max). This review might be old and they did specify that it was with the standard 2600 mAh battery. What kind of battery life are you T61 owners getting? Is the 6-cell battery bigger and heavier than the default 4-cell battery?

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2008, 08:39:31 PM »

Yeah, intel's releasing their new stuff late july/early august.  It's a little later than expected, but laptops will be faster and use less power then.

I think I'll wait 'till really early in August and hopefully try to catch those. Do you think it will be a big difference

Muhammad Ali

• Who's the prettiest? Who's the greatest?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2008, 09:06:46 PM »
New model line ups across the board are supposed to come out at the end of June / early July.

Sorry buddy, but montevina was postponed.  Now July 14th through early August.  I'm kinda wondering whether I'll have time to get one before school starts.

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6564602.html

Clevo already has a Montevina on display in their M860TU: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4443 .  Not too far off. 

Anyway, to others: Definitely wait if you're willing to.  You don't need more than a couple of days to get acquainted with your notebook.  A day of removing bloatware.

I found a great deal and just purchased my Vaio TZ today.  I was willing to wait but this deal was too good to pass up and wouldn't be worth the ~$500 difference a new Montevina model would have given me.  Very happy and cannot wait until it gets here.
I'm the most recognized and loved man that ever lived cause there weren't no satellites when Jesus and Moses were around, so people far away in the villages didn't know about them.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/muhammadali

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »

Check back after Wednesday. Apple is having their big summer conference Monday-Wednesday and they will probably announce the new chipset for the Macbook's. So I'd hold off until July 1, at the earliest.