22 (27.8%)
Planet Law School Vol II
 20 (25.3%)
Something Else
 8 (10.1%)
Neither, read something fun instead.
 29 (36.7%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Law School Confidential VS Planet Law School II  (Read 9398 times)

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Confidential VS Planet Law School II
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 12:53:48 AM »
Holy crap, I'd completely forgotten that PLSII recommended getting and reading the Restatements.  Most "prepping" IMHO is a colossal waste of time, but reading the Restatements is beyond a waste of time.  It's utterly ridiculous.

If you simply must read something to prep, stick to the E&E's.  Better yet, do something useful with yourself.  Go to court and watch some trials.  Find a lawyer and ask if you can tag along if they're going to be doing something interesting.  With all the reading you're going to do during the year, I assure you that you'll barely remember anything you read before school started.  It certainly won't help you on the exam.
Emory '09

LSN

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 01:06:38 AM »
Holy crap, I'd completely forgotten that PLSII recommended getting and reading the Restatements.  Most "prepping" IMHO is a colossal waste of time, but reading the Restatements is beyond a waste of time.  It's utterly ridiculous.

I thought the restatements were just for their "Illustrations" (more Examples). But yeah, overkill.
CLS 2011

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 01:09:20 AM »

If you simply must read something to prep, stick to the E&E's.  Better yet, do something useful with yourself.  Go to court and watch some trials.  Find a lawyer and ask if you can tag along if they're going to be doing something interesting.  With all the reading you're going to do during the year, I assure you that you'll barely remember anything you read before school started.  It certainly won't help you on the exam.

If you didn't prep, you don't know if it works or not. Granted I am a 0L, but the arguments for and against prepping are about equal, probably slightly favoring prep.

How is getting the Restatements utterly ridiculous? They list the elements of BLL and provide a ton of hypos. Both are critical to good grades from all accounts. Now, if you don't want to buy it you can just use it at the library for free, which would eliminate the high cost of purchasing them. Also, PLS mentions the restatements as a 'recommended' and not a 'must get'.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 01:14:19 AM »
I'm not doing any prep b/c I think there will be time to learn that stuff later and a head start just isn't necessary...

If you and I both have to run a marathon (finals) you can start training in June if it makes you feel better but if I wait until August I don't think its going to make any material impact...(if we're both already in decent shape-LSAT scores of our classmates).

This was a good quote from another poster:

no.  law school is like going into a cold lake.  1) you can take law preview and slowly wade in though, in the end, you know you're going to be just as cold or 2) you can just jump in and deal with it.  But really, I know a couple people who did it and I don't think it worked out so well.

I think LSC helped me understand what I was in for (reading cases, studying them, outlining, etc) instead of helping me start learning the subjects....

But I think do whatever puts you in the best mindset come August...

Again, 0l talking out of his ass alert...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »
See, I think of it a little different. Let's use the analogy of sports. I consider my summer prep (which btw is not very intensive IMO, just reading E&Es) to be like nfl training camp. Sure, practice is very different than the game, but I feel like summer prep will allow me to be as prepared as possible. I'll 'go through the motions', but more importantly I'll learn the plays. Hence, when the real thing comes around I won't be as screwed as the other newbies. Maybe my only advantage will be piece of mind, but you know what... piece of mind is huge in a stress filled environment like law school IMO.

As far as advice from older posters... if you haven't noticed, a lot of it is conflicting advice. If you use the search function and go back a few years, you'll see completely different views than now (for example, in the past a lot of people thought PLS and law school prep were a godsend... not so much these days). There are also some posters who are just really jaded about their school experiences. Basically, just take everything with a grain of salt, and trust your gut.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 01:26:53 AM »

If you didn't prep, you don't know if it works or not. Granted I am a 0L, but the arguments for and against prepping are about equal, probably slightly favoring prep.

How is getting the Restatements utterly ridiculous? They list the elements of BLL and provide a ton of hypos. Both are critical to good grades from all accounts. Now, if you don't want to buy it you can just use it at the library for free, which would eliminate the high cost of purchasing them. Also, PLS mentions the restatements as a 'recommended' and not a 'must get'.

You are not going to get through a restatement as a 0L. I can't get through a restatement as a 3L. It's like preparing for college by reading the encyclopedia. You are also not going to buy a restatement as it is huge.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 01:28:52 AM »
Yes, its really all about taking in as much information on the subject as you can get and making up your own mind and decision based on what is best for you and puts your mind in the best place when school starts...

Off-season training camp is an interesting analogy and I think it makes a lot of sense but I like my marathon one better...for me...

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 01:39:49 AM »
Now my analogy:

Learning Spanish--you don't *really* learn how to speak Spanish fluently until you're fully immersed for years in a Spanish-speaking country--and you can't *really* learn a language until you're in that foreign language school in some country and living with a host family. But it sure helps if you arrive with a basic vocabulary and sense of grammatical structure in Spanish. That way, you can get a basic grasp of conversations, know what questions to ask (and how to ask them) and also how new words, verb tenses, etc fit into the bigger scheme of "SPANISH THE LANGUAGE"...knowing a bit of Spanish sure makes those first few months easier and you can get out of "baby talk" a lot faster.

And so with "THE LAW".  :D
CLS 2011

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 01:43:11 AM »
Now my analogy:

Learning Spanish--you don't *really* learn how to speak Spanish fluently until you're fully immersed for years in a Spanish-speaking country--and you can't *really* learn a language until you're in that foreign language school in some country and living with a host family. But it sure helps if you arrive with a basic vocabulary and sense of grammatical structure in Spanish. That way, you can get a basic grasp of conversations, know what questions to ask (and how to ask them) and also how new words, verb tenses, etc fit into the bigger scheme of "SPANISH THE LANGUAGE"...knowing a bit of Spanish sure makes those first few months easier and you can get out of "baby talk" a lot faster.

Will this help you out with the finals in Spain?

I guess there is something to be said for being more comfortable in the first few months of school but if that is the only value it provides then its not worth the effort for me...b/c I can be more productive clearing my mind so I can be focused and driven come August (ie drinking heavily)

but everyone is different...

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 01:47:42 AM »
Now my analogy:

Will this help you out with the finals in Spain?

I guess there is something to be said for being more comfortable in the first few months of school but if that is the only value it provides then its not worth the effort for me...b/c I can be more productive clearing my mind so I can be focused and driven come August (ie drinking heavily)

but everyone is different...

Yup. Finals are after just a few months, and those readings and lectures from the beginning of the semester count too! But plenty of people pick up enough Spanish to get by without a strong background, so it's not essential, just helpful. :)
CLS 2011