22 (27.8%)
Planet Law School Vol II
 20 (25.3%)
Something Else
 8 (10.1%)
Neither, read something fun instead.
 29 (36.7%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Law School Confidential VS Planet Law School II  (Read 9104 times)

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Confidential VS Planet Law School II
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 08:52:06 PM »
I've read Law School Confidential and it gives an intimidating schedule that is at odds with just about every student I've talked to has told me, namely you need to be on a super-rigorous 7am-11pm six-day-a-week format in order to put in the recommended amount of time per class. I'm hoping for a little less rigorous 8-5 or 7-4 schedule, but we'll see...

I was pretty shocked by the schedule, especially since so much of it seemed like busy work that wouldn't really help on exams.

Good advice on how not to be an a-hole though.
CLS 2011

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 09:56:21 PM »
What about Scalia's new book, just as far as something interesting to read goes?

Interesting, or gimmicky/waste of time?

Depends on what you're looking for. IOt's always good to study your enemy, if you know what I mean. This book won't help you much if your aim is to do better in law school, though. The goal on your exams isn't to be convincing.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 10:44:30 PM »
What about Scalia's new book, just as far as something interesting to read goes?

Interesting, or gimmicky/waste of time?

Depends on what you're looking for. IOt's always good to study your enemy, if you know what I mean. This book won't help you much if your aim is to do better in law school, though. The goal on your exams isn't to be convincing.

Not to do better, I just meant in terms of pleasure reading I guess.  I can't tell if its something thrown together to make money from or an honest attempt to say something...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 10:55:27 PM »
Not to do better, I just meant in terms of pleasure reading I guess.  I can't tell if its something thrown together to make money from or an honest attempt to say something...

I can't say I've found reading Scalia to be pleasurable, but to each his own. My guess is that it's an honest attempt to say something. The WSJ Law Blog is promising highlights.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

BrooklynLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 02:28:54 AM »
I read PLS II and it recommended the E&E books, the Delaney books, and Restatements for first year supplementals. What does LSC recommened you study to learn the BLL?

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 05:51:35 PM »
I'm like 30 pages into PLS2 right now, and it pretty much seems like the Gunner's Handbook.  Which I guess is fine.

Are you reading the same book I read? Falcon talks about how you should never ever volunteer in class, brag about how much you know, and even calling out true gunners as blowhards.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 05:57:48 PM »
Under the radar gunner's handbook maybe?  The silent-but-deadly gunner?

I haven't read it but that's the impression I'm getting...

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 06:01:01 PM »
Under the radar gunner's handbook maybe?  The silent-but-deadly gunner?

I haven't read it but that's the impression I'm getting...

The reason people hate gunners is because they are obnoxious and don't shut up in class. If getting good grades (even if you are quiet in class and friendly to everyone) makes you a gunner, strap me with an AK47.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 06:08:30 PM »
Yeah, I think you're not supposed to be so obvious about it...pretend like it doesn't matter...weird...

The silent-but-deadly gunners are gunners nevertheless...but I hope to be one...

Natural Law(yer)

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »
Haven't read PLS2 yet, but I wasn't all that impressed with LSC.  I probably would have gotten more out of it if I had read it before sending out applications, but there didn't seem to be much there for 0Ls.