Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NHL Playoffs  (Read 1160 times)

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
NHL Playoffs
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:12:29 PM »
Calling all fans!  Who's with me?

J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NHL Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 09:21:19 PM »
The last 15 years have been difficult for us Kings fans...

This is what happens when ownership uses most of its resources to pay Beckham's salary...

And he plays soccer...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:25:05 PM »
I've never known you to misspeak before so I'll take your word.

I do, however, recall a radio over the summer where they said they kind of focused on soccer more than the Kings but want to change that...

Add to all of this the fact they they never re-sign their free agents and let every fan favorite go...

I think they can do a better job is what I'm getting at...

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 09:25:09 PM »
 :D :D :D

Yeah, I understand.

I'm just gung-ho about the game in general.  I hated my hometown's fans, and didn't care much for the team one way or the other, but I just love the game.  Playoffs are the *&^%. 

There are a few teams that I absolutely hate, though.

::continues making voodoo dolls of Turco and Modano::

I bet somebody before the start of playoffs LAST year that if the Pens keep Roberts and can get a little more depth on defense, they would win the Stanley Cup this year.  I was mocked after they crashed out hard during those playoffs, but I stuck with my bet, and it's not looking bad so far.  Hossa was an interesting addition, but not really the key.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 09:27:30 PM »
Oh, I also pointed out after Pronger left [hometown] that the Ducks were likely to win the Cup with him, because he was the only reason [hometown] even made it to game 7 of the Cup Finals the previous year and was easily the team's MVP.

I made quite a few enemies.  They just hate it when a relative n00b knows what he's talking about and is right about the game.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 09:29:27 PM »
I've never known you to misspeak before so I'll take your word.

I do, however, recall a radio over the summer where they said they kind of focused on soccer more than the Kings but want to change that...

Add to all of this the fact they they never re-sign their free agents and let every fan favorite go...

I think they can do a better job is what I'm getting at...

The problem isn't ownership; it's inept management. And what free agents and fan favorites (since AEG took over) are you referring to specifically?

They focused more marketing on the Galaxy than the Kings recently, but they haven't been underfunding the Kings by any stretch of the imagination. The Kings have all the financial resources available to be competitive.

Moral of the story: don't listen to sports radio unless you like idiotic yellfests.

Yeah, the Kings' problems lie in poor team chemistry and bad team planning.  Half the team is a defensive liability -- the first step should be to shore up the defense and hammer backchecking into the forwards' heads. 

With that, a lot of the problems would disappear.  The Kings certainly have a lot of offensive potential, and goaltending really isn't that poor. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 09:33:45 PM »
and goaltending really isn't that poor. 

agree with you until this. ersberg was a decent stopgap near the end of the season, but i have two words: dan cloutier.

we just pray jon bernier will be ready in the next year or two.

Oh, I wouldn't say it's good.  I'm just saying it isn't as poor as it was made to look by probably the most slipshod defense in the NHL.

There are a lot of quality goalies now floating around.  It shouldn't be too difficult to pick one up for cheaply to make sure there's some goaltending consistency.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 09:33:57 PM »
This wasn't some talk-radio hack trying to stir the pot; this was Kings' management on the air...

And since AEG took over they keep saying they are going to put a competitive team on the ice but haven't.  I haven't completely lost faith in them but so far they aren't cutting it. 

Every time ownership changes (and coaches for that matter) there is an adjustment period (Same thing has been happening to the Dodgers).  Maybe they'll get it together now and show some stability but its hard to be happy with them when they have won nothing since they've been a franchise and Anaheim basically owns the town...

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 09:39:58 PM »
My memory is foggy on the issue but I swear I remember two years ago (maybe before the strike?) them telling everyone they want to save money and spend it the next year and put a good team on the ice.  And then they let key players go or didn't spend the $....wish I could be more specific/less vague...but I honestly can't remember...

But it seems like you're paying more attention than I am, so I trust what you're saying.

Their goal-tending blows, their young kids need time to develop, they have made some questionable early-round picks, etc...but it may indeed be more a matter of inept management rather than an ownership issue...

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 09:42:34 PM »
The real question is what is the deal with Los Angeles stadium?  Think it will work?

I wish is wasn't out in the boonies but we'll see what happens...