Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So...bout how many...  (Read 1163 times)

DuckHuntinLawyer

• View Profile
So...bout how many...
« on: April 27, 2008, 07:01:41 PM »
...practice tests would you all say you do on average for each class before the big day?

Do ya do them as if they were a real exam (time yourself, full sentences/paragraphs, etc.)?

Or do ya stick with the "UBE" analysis?

Just curious.

I probably only do two or so per class. One formal. One UBE.

mf22076

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: So...bout how many...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 07:51:59 PM »
I do about 10 1/2 hour practice essay exams for classes that have a 50/50 split between multiple choice and essay.  Only 3 are formally timed and I write them in the practice section of examsoft.  For a 3 hour essay exam I still do about 10 but only 1 or 2 are formally timed. 

Also if there is an issue I come across that I am unsure about or catches me off guard I will look it up and then continue.  It does no good to write incorrect law as it will stay in my reptile brain. 

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 08:16:58 PM »
I do about 10 1/2 hour practice essay exams for classes that have a 50/50 split between multiple choice and essay.  Only 3 are formally timed and I write them in the practice section of examsoft.  For a 3 hour essay exam I still do about 10 but only 1 or 2 are formally timed. 

Also if there is an issue I come across that I am unsure about or catches me off guard I will look it up and then continue.  It does no good to write incorrect law as it will stay in my reptile brain. 

i do one or none, untimed

10 practice exams...wtf?  why you slackin?  buckle down already, this is law school!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »
As a 1L, I did a bunch, probably 8-10 or more.  As a 3L, I do one, maybe two.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 08:36:56 PM »
as a 1L, i did 8 practice sections (typically 1-1.5 hours each).  I did two or three of them timed then the rest I just spotted issues/sketch an outline.  2L year i mostly have just done a little issue spotting to get the gist of what will be asked.   

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 08:49:04 PM »
i did as many full lengths as i could get my hand on during 1l. 

2l? i dont think i have done any, just a little issue spotting like thorc said.  however, its not that i do not need to do practice exams anymore.  if fact, i would do much better if i did.   i really just dont care enough to anymore.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 09:24:32 PM »
Didn't do any for first semester (1L), probably won't do any for this semester.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 01:27:20 PM »
None.  It's more fun to go in completely cold.

C'mon guys, where's your sense of adventure?

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 03:02:34 PM »
ZERO.  Waste of time for me.  And I don't read the casebooks (I do skim them) or even go to class regularly (I probably miss 1/3 of my classes).  I just cram for the week before exams, creating streamlined outlines, and it seems to work for me. 

After 1L, when I crashed and burned on the classes that I spent the most time preparing for, and aced the class that I rarely showed up for, I figured out that it is more effective in my case to just focus on the big picture topics at the end of the semester rather than get bogged down by irrelevant BS throughout the semester.

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 11:10:42 AM »
ZERO.  Waste of time for me.  And I don't read the casebooks (I do skim them) or even go to class regularly (I probably miss 1/3 of my classes).  I just cram for the week before exams, creating streamlined outlines, and it seems to work for me. 

After 1L, when I crashed and burned on the classes that I spent the most time preparing for, and aced the class that I rarely showed up for, I figured out that it is more effective in my case to just focus on the big picture topics at the end of the semester rather than get bogged down by irrelevant BS throughout the semester.

If you're not going to class or reading the casebook, what are you making your outlines from? I tend to work all semester doing the readings and going to class/taking copious notes, then make my outline exclusively from my notes. In my experience, if it's important enough to test on the exam, a professor will discuss it in class. You only do the readings so you'll understand what is being discussed in class.