Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's the deal with FIU?  (Read 6169 times)

danney13

• View Profile
What's the deal with FIU?
« on: April 27, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
What do people think about FIU?  I live in Miami right now, am from PA, and am interested in doing immigration/international law.  I have heard good things about FIU, but am scared by their drop to the 4th tier and the unemployment rate.  On the other hand, it has only been around for a couple of years and I suppose even schools with great promise takes time to get established.  Thoughts?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: What's the deal with FIU?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 12:47:37 PM »
but am scared by their drop to the 4th tier and the unemployment rate.  On the other hand, it has only been around for a couple of years and I suppose even schools with great promise takes time to get established.   

Be afraid, be very afraid (unless money is no object and/or you have an unconditional full ride)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 01:33:48 PM »
I would not advise going to a TIER 4 school at all in this congested lawyer market.  But, FIU's tuition is dirt cheap which mitigates the problem.  So, what it comes down to in my opinion is this: Are you a go-getter that has extreme confidence in making things happen?  Are you a great networker that can find work in a time where your competition will be much more appealing?  If not, stay away.

I think FIU will be a well-respected tier 2 school in the next 7-10 years, but this is irrelevant to you.

officeguy

• ? ? ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 03:30:23 PM »
Law school is a VERY serious, and life changing investment. Go to the absoluate best school you are able to get into. Pass off any T3/T4...
"I want an anti-gravity machine. I saw it in a movie. You drink the potion, and then you just start floating all around"

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 03:47:41 PM »
On the other hand, it has only been around for a couple of years and I suppose even schools with great promise takes time to get established.  Thoughts?

you should care about whether it has been established, not whether it has great promise.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 12:27:25 AM »
Don't under estimate alumni.  The last firm I worked with had two "managing" partners, a Miami grad and a Nova Grad.  Whenever they had a position to fill the Miami guy would go and interview at Miami and the Nova guy would go and interview people at Nova.  Even though UM is a better school than Nova I would say that a Nova grad has about as good of a chance of getting a job at that firm.  (We had 3 law clerks, two of us Miami and one Nova).  It was not that someone from another school could not get hired, it is just harder to come to their attention.

My point? FIU grads would be very likely to look at you in a better light, problem is that there are not too many of them around.
Going to Miami

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 01:16:18 AM »
Don't under estimate alumni.  The last firm I worked with had two "managing" partners, a Miami grad and a Nova Grad.  Whenever they had a position to fill the Miami guy would go and interview at Miami and the Nova guy would go and interview people at Nova.  Even though UM is a better school than Nova I would say that a Nova grad has about as good of a chance of getting a job at that firm.  (We had 3 law clerks, two of us Miami and one Nova).  It was not that someone from another school could not get hired, it is just harder to come to their attention.

My point? FIU grads would be very likely to look at you in a better light, problem is that there are not too many of them around.

ED TAYLOR!

Have you been waiting 2 + years to make that post?
Going to Miami

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 01:26:06 AM »
Who is this?  Are you an LSD person or from the dog?
Going to Miami

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 01:32:22 AM »
Who is this?  Are you an LSD person or from the dog?

DO YOU REALLY KNOW ED?

If this is really Ed, tell me whose closet you used to live in.
Going to Miami