Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pace vs. NYLS vs. Rutgers-Camden  (Read 2490 times)

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pace vs. NYLS vs. Rutgers-Camden
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 04:12:20 PM »
The reason I asked about price is because the only way I could see this being a legitimate debate is if he were offered a near full ride at Pace/NYLS, no strings attached.  Rutgers has a far better reputation and career prospects.  Personality fit does matter to an extent. But like antwan is suggesting, law school is a huge investment.  In the grand scheme of things, I think job prospects and reputation will matter more than an intangible vibe, if we are talking about large differences in ranking.

Oldguy48

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »
Yes, well.  There is scene in one of the Star Wars Movies (I am watching then with my 7 year old son, kind of cool to see them now)  where a huge seacreaturish fish grabs a hold of the jedi's ship as it travels under the sea.  Just as things look bleak a completely huger (good word no?) fish comes up from behind and grabs the ship-grabbing fish.  A Jedi turns to the amorphous muppet-like alien and says "There's always a bigger fish."    I find it odd that someone from Rutgers could take such a dismal almost condescending position on a tier 3 school. Search around the boards and you will find posters asking the equivalent of "Emory or Rutgers with money" and a fair share of replies saying, in effect, it is tragic mistake to take a (lower) tier 2 over a tier 1.  Another poster will ask "Cornell or Emory with money" and just as many people will decry the foolishness of taking any school over a T14.  There's always a bigger fish.    I have been accepted to St. John's, Rutgers Newark, and Seton Hall as well as Pace and NYLS (all PT) and have tried to listen to  the notion that (unless it's T14) most all choices are regional.  Given that I would focus on Philly vs. NY and what you want to do.  If you have an interest in Environmental or International I would suggest Pace regardless of USWNR ranking.  I intend to focus on the fit rather than the number-- Unless of course I get off the waitlist at Fordham...   

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
Old guy, I'm not sure why you would assume that I can't find a job, I have a great job lined up, Instead of attacking me personally you should try responding to the arguments I have outlined. And as you said, your friends graduated in 06, not now, the job market has gotten incredibly worse than 06. And I never said Pace was a dump, just that there is little demand for run-of-the mill law school grads RIGHT NOW and into the forseeable future. With that in mind, why would the OP go to a much lower ranked school on purpose? Especially when RU will be cheaper AND offer better job prospects than Pace in NYC or NJ.

lawordie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 05:27:12 PM »
Old guy, I'm not sure why you would assume that I can't find a job, I have a great job lined up, Instead of attacking me personally you should try responding to the arguments I have outlined. And as you said, your friends graduated in 06, not now, the job market has gotten incredibly worse than 06. And I never said Pace was a dump, just that there is little demand for run-of-the mill law school grads RIGHT NOW and into the forseeable future. With that in mind, why would the OP go to a much lower ranked school on purpose? Especially when RU will be cheaper AND offer better job prospects than Pace in NYC or NJ.
It wasnt old guy who brought up your job prospets it was me...I didnt mean to attack you personally. that was a response to your notion that if your not a top 5% in tier two you wont get a "good job" thats rediculous.
Plus I do however second OLD GUY's notions about the fish in the see! looks like our glasses our half full! good to hear!

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Pace and NYLS will be similar cost to Rutgers-Camden if I can keep the scholarships.

Basically, I do like Pace.  I know it is T3 but is there really a big difference between T2 and T3?  I lived in Jersey for a few years and I think it is time for a change.  I don't want to waste my youth in the Jersey suburbs forever, practicing at some strip mall in Cherry Hill.  From what I understand, everything below about 30 is TTT, and only the very top will get great job offers.  So isn't it better to go where you will like it?  I think it will come down to if I want to focus on the Philly/South Jersey area or if I would rather go somewhere else.  It's all about region, from what I understand.  I just do NOT see the evidence that T2>>>>T3.

Of course, if I get into Fordham PT, all of this is pretty much moot.

Yossarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 09:08:17 AM »
I just do NOT see the evidence that T2>>>>T3.

You are dealing with specific schools now within T2 or T3, thus drawing a general conclusion like this is not really helpful in your circumstance. R-C is >>>>> than Pace or NYLS. I definitely agree with antwan that R-C is by far your best choice. With a little bit of networking and legwork a R-C degree will get you a job anywhere in the tri-state area.

Did you apply to Rutgers-Newark?
W&L '11

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
The problem is Camden is a shithole, no offense.  I can't imagine liking going to school there.  And it seems to place very few people in NYC.  So it seems like you're stuck in South Jersey/Philly, and still behind Nova/Temple even there.

I was waitlisted by Rutgers-Newark, and like 6 other schools.

lakers24

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 10:03:31 PM »
Camden is a really depressing place. I'm deciding between RN-RC-Villanova. I think Camden provides the most bang for my buck but I dont know if I can spend three years of my life going through Camden everyday. I like RN, got a good feel from there but Im not sure if it places as well as RC. Villanova is expensive and seems to lack any kind of diversity, but offers slightly better job prospects. Im stumped and deadlines are coming up. Madness I feel your pain..

Yossarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 12:25:28 PM »
The problem is Camden is a shithole, no offense.  I can't imagine liking going to school there.  And it seems to place very few people in NYC.  So it seems like you're stuck in South Jersey/Philly, and still behind Nova/Temple even there.

If I was you I would try very hard to get off the Fordham and R-N waitlists because I think they would be your best options based on what you are looking for. Its odd that R-C accepted you and R-N waitlisted, R-C is usually the more selective of the 2. Did you let R-N know that Camden accepted you?
W&L '11

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 04:21:43 PM »

If I was you I would try very hard to get off the Fordham and R-N waitlists because I think they would be your best options based on what you are looking for. Its odd that R-C accepted you and R-N waitlisted, R-C is usually the more selective of the 2. Did you let R-N know that Camden accepted you?

No, I didn't think of it.  My numbers are a little below par for Camden but they said they liked my personal statement.  So that must have had an impact.  Also, Newark is much more diverse, so a white guy like myself may not have an easier time getting into Newark.

From looking at Biglaw placement, it's like 10% at Camden and about 5% at the T3 schools.  We're not talking much difference.  Newark is closer to 15%, but I wonder, again, if the diversity is the cause of that, as firms look for minorities.  I mean, 40% of Camden students get "clerkships".  But these are like local ones right?  Not the prestigious Yale kind.