Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pace vs. NYLS vs. Rutgers-Camden  (Read 2429 times)

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Pace vs. NYLS vs. Rutgers-Camden
« on: April 27, 2008, 02:37:25 AM »
Deposit already in at Pace, with NYLS and Rutgers deadlines coming.  Similar money at Pace and NYLS (Pace has slightly lower GPA requirement).  I can get in-state tuition at Rutgers.  Rutgers may seem to be the obvious choice, but I feel I would like going to Pace better at this point after visiting Pace twice.  I'm also interested in environmental law and I'd much rather live in the NY area than the Philly area.

So is NYLS any advantage over Pace?  From all I read, the placement is similar (top 10% or so necessary for Biglaw) and I would prefer Pace.  If I probably do not want to practice in Philly, is Rutgers out of the question?  Thanks.

imagurl

• View Profile
Re: Pace vs. NYLS vs. Rutgers-Camden
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 01:22:45 PM »
Sounds like Pace is your preferred school.  Unless you want to work in Philly or Jersey I wouldn't go to R-Camden, and I don't think NYLS will give you any distinct advantages over Pace.  If you felt comfortable there, that is important too.  If you want to work in the Westchester/NY area then it seems like Pace is your best option out of the 3.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 01:50:46 PM »
imagurl thanks - I just saw that on lawschoolnumbers they have NYLS with like 58 OCI firms this year and Pace with only 16.  That scared me a bit.  NYLS deposit deadline is coming up, so I have to decide this by this week.  Still, most of the info I have seen has Pace and NYLS similar in placement.  And I am comfortable with Westchester.  I've lived in NJ for about 4 years and I think it is time for a change...

I will visit Rutgers and maybe I will be impressed.  It is tough to turn down a higher-ranked and cheaper school, but I have til 5/15 for Rutgers.

Any other thoughts?

Yossarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 02:02:45 PM »
keep in mind that NYLS is about 549 students per class and Pace is about 275, so although NYLS has more OCI firms there are also a lot more students you are in competition with at NYLS.
W&L '11

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 02:47:47 AM »
True...I get a more cutthroat feeling at NYLS than at Pace as well.  Pace is small enough that everyone knows everyone.

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 09:53:16 AM »
How much more will Pace/NYLS end up being over Rutgers, if you don't mind my asking?

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
I just graduated in Jan. from RU-Camden. I also recieved in-state tuition. The fact that you are considering going to NYLS or Pace over RU is laughable (I mean that as nicely as possible).

First, the state of the job market right now is really scary. There is little demand for lawyers from T2 and beyond (unless your in the top 5% or so, which there is obviously a 95% against). I realize that RU is a T2, but for some reason a lot of older lawyers think the name is prestigous. Every single person I know from RU has a decent job or clerkship lined up. Most people outside of westchester have never even heard of pace. NYLS will leave you well over 120k in debt, and that's if you commute from home. I've heard horror stories about NYLS's job v. debt prospects. Plus, your competing with not only the better NYC city schools, but all T1 grads who want to work in NY. That said, you should definetly go to the highest regarded school you can, and the fact that its cheaper makes it a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, visiting RU will not make you want to go there. The new building is nice and state of the art (opening this fall I think) but Camden is as bad as you have heard. The immediate area around the law school is perfectly safe though. And all the jobs arent just in philly. I'm working right now in north jersey at a small firm and starting an appellate clerkship even further north in september.

lawordie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:54:36 AM »
madness,
just wanted to let you know that i have visited both NYLS and pace and from my own personal experience, i enjoyed pace alot more. I found the students to be more upbeat and energenic and i found the environment to be more welcoming. Again this is my own opinion but i did enjoy pace. I dont believe that there is little demand for lawyers beyond T2 and laugh at this notion because that would conflict with the fact that 88.1% of the graduates from pace in 2006 got positions nine months after grad. I am deciding to a tier 1 two tier 2's and a tier 3 all with scholarships, some more then others and i can tell you that ranking and tier do sway my opinion a little but it all comes down to which shcool fits me better. I suggest you do the same and not let the "if you go to tier 3 or 4 your doomed" argument sway your decision!

Good Luck!

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 01:28:15 PM »
madness,
just wanted to let you know that i have visited both NYLS and pace and from my own personal experience, i enjoyed pace alot more. I found the students to be more upbeat and energenic and i found the environment to be more welcoming. Again this is my own opinion but i did enjoy pace. I dont believe that there is little demand for lawyers beyond T2 and laugh at this notion because that would conflict with the fact that 88.1% of the graduates from pace in 2006 got positions nine months after grad. I am deciding to a tier 1 two tier 2's and a tier 3 all with scholarships, some more then others and i can tell you that ranking and tier do sway my opinion a little but it all comes down to which shcool fits me better. I suggest you do the same and not let the "if you go to tier 3 or 4 your doomed" argument sway your decision!

Well... first of all, dont believe the law school stats, maybe 88.1% are employed after 9 months, but that certainly doens't mean that they all have decent law jobs. Second, if you're ignorant as to the terrible current state of the legal market, then you really should do more research before committing 3 years and 100k to go to law school. I guess you didn't hear that firms are DOWNSIZING right now and even cutting equity partners. in 2007, firms hired significantly less associates than in years past, plus, more and more lawyers come into the field every year. And finally, if you think that there is a demand for t3 and t4  law grads (that aren't at the top of their class) right now, especially in the NYC area, you have really bought into the law school propaganda, and you deserve to be ripped off.

It's warm and fuzzy to say "tier doesnt matter" and "go to where the students are the nicest" but in reality that's terrible advice, and unfortunately the level of school that you go to will absolutely determine what jobs are available to you. But hey... you guys are 0L's so you know everything.
Good Luck!

lawordie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 03:57:15 PM »
madness,

Well... first of all, dont believe the law school stats, maybe 88.1% are employed after 9 months, but that certainly doens't mean that they all have decent law jobs. Second, if you're ignorant as to the terrible current state of the legal market, then you really should do more research before committing 3 years and 100k to go to law school. I guess you didn't hear that firms are DOWNSIZING right now and even cutting equity partners. in 2007, firms hired significantly less associates than in years past, plus, more and more lawyers come into the field every year. And finally, if you think that there is a demand for t3 and t4  law grads (that aren't at the top of their class) right now, especially in the NYC area, you have really bought into the law school propaganda, and you deserve to be ripped off.

It's warm and fuzzy to say "tier doesnt matter" and "go to where the students are the nicest" but in reality that's terrible advice, and unfortunately the level of school that you go to will absolutely determine what jobs are available to you. But hey... you guys are 0L's so you know everything.
Good Luck!
WOW...you really sound depressed. 2 of my best friends graduated from pace (a third tier school) in '06. they were both middle class students who found it easy to get good jobs in the NYC market....and hey they might be against the norm but graduating from pace with the at least a 58,000 as bottom end starting salary isnt that bad in my eyes. You can get a good job, not have to be top 5%, and still succeed at a tier 3 school as my compadres have proven. Again im a 0L and am baseing this on MY personal experiences which havent been as negative as madness would suggest. But hey if i couldnt find a job to save my life i would probably write the same thing as him....
good luck