Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CUNY Queens College School of Law  (Read 1237 times)

asianscarlett

• View Profile
CUNY Queens College School of Law
« on: April 26, 2008, 05:34:50 PM »
Can anyone please tell me about CUNY Queens College School of Law?  Although I heard it was a tier 4 school, it is becoming more competitive.  And if compared to Touro College School of Law, it is the better choice.
Oh, by the way, New York Law School is unfriendly.  I got my decision over a week ago and I have to say that they did not do the "thorough review" as their decision letter said.  It took less than 2 weeks from the time they received my report from the law school admission council to the day they sent me their rejection letter.  I won't be reapplying to that school.

Multiple LSAT Taker

• View Profile
Re: CUNY Queens College School of Law
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 11:35:20 PM »
I have a similar experience with you.  When I applied to NYLS last year, I received a rejection letter within a week after they received the LSDAS report.  Last year, I had the same feeling with you.  This year, my LSAT score is 5 point higher (mid 150) and I recevied a waitlist letter almost two month after they recevied the LSDAS report.
I heard that NYLS evaluates each application mainly based on the numbers. If one's score is withon their acceptable range, they would seriously consider other soft factors. Otherwise, you know....

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 04:43:55 PM »
CUNY is primarily a school for students wishing to pursue a career in public interest.  The tuition is very low, which helps make that possible.  My friend is very pleased there, but again, he has no interest in big firm work.  For PI, I think it's a good way to go.
Albany Law School Class of 2010

justadreamer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 02:49:29 PM »
I got accepted to both schools NYLS as well as CUNY law. When I first went to the open house in NYLS i found that people were not very friendly, and it seemed like the majority of the students giving the tour were not happy with the school. My lsat score its in the low 150's and they still accepted me about 2 weeks later after receiving my application.

Now as for CUNY, like the poster above mentioned, CUNY is a great school for those who are not interested in Big law firm jobs. It is more for public interest, and moderate law firm job mainly in NYC. It is a public school so the tuition is very affordable ( 8,500) which is great. I just recently went on a personal tour in the school where you are allowed to sit on a class, and get a tour on a one to one by a current student. Let me tell you that I was very impressed. Even though the school is not really small, all the students know each other, and they all help each other out. It is not a competitive school, where you are on your own. They really do help each other out. The law school community has a great bond. The school is spacious as well and very nice. Overall, I was very impressed with the school and definitely recommended instead of NYLS where I did not feel very comfortable.