Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: need help with a book for my pre-law girlfriend's birthday  (Read 597 times)

db2

• View Profile
    • Email
need help with a book for my pre-law girlfriend's birthday
« on: April 26, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »
hello all-

my g/f is about to start law school and i was wondering if you could suggest a reference book or other type of book that she would refer to often during her studies that i could buy for her upcoming birthday.

i'm lookiing for a book that you feel is indispensible and that she would use quite often even after graduation, or what would be considered a "classic" law book to refer to.

thanks for your help!

paulmanganelli@gmail.com

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: need help with a book for my pre-law girlfriend's birthday
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »
You could get her a Black's Law Dictionary (the nice "official" looking black one).  It's expensive, and she probably won't use it a ton during school since you get free westlaw access that offers Black's online as a student (although I definitely used mine a bit).  It will likely be more helpful when she graduates and westlaw/lexis is no longer free and she has to limit the amount of time she spends online.

That all being said...I'm sure you could find something nicer to get her for her birthday - a law book is kinda boring!  :)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 12:49:31 PM »
I agree with Jacy.  The only book that "Everyone" buys is blacks law dictionary.  I didnt buy it nor have I needed it ever since I have started.  There really arent any essential books. 

Buy her paper chase or something entertaining if you wanna go the law school related route.

or, buy her a ring, if she is going to law school anywhere decent, it could be a great investment in your future :)

db2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »
thanks a bunch!!good idea!!  heh, i'm not getting her just the book......besides, i'm going to write an original poem in the inside cover so she'll thinnk of me every time she uses it....

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 07:13:19 PM »
If it helps, a paralegal at the firm I used to work for left to go to law school, and the partners bought her a Black's as a going-away present.
UVA Law Class of 2011

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »
Dude...a book for a birthday? I'd think twice about that one.

Far be it from me to give relationship advice, but I'd buy her something other than a book.

Do buy her the Black's Law book. But just don't buy it for her birthday present. (or at least don't let that be the ONLY thing you give her) That's a sure fired way not to get laid. (and we all know that's the only reason that guys give girls anything on their birthdays)

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 07:21:43 PM »
kama sutra - a book you both can refer to everyday

your welcome.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 07:32:29 PM »
Book? How about a coupon for a day at a spa; something she can use after her first finals.