Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Second thoughts on a withdrawal  (Read 3207 times)

duderancher

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
    • Email
Second thoughts on a withdrawal
« on: April 25, 2008, 08:32:40 PM »
I withdrew from a university 2 weeks ago and have really questioned it since.  I thought I had made my mind up but now I am not sure.  Has anyone here ever withdrawn, recondidered, and reapproached a school?  Regardless, does anyone have any advice for me on this?

MahlerGrooves

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 775
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
Re: Second thoughts on a withdrawal
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 09:34:16 PM »
I withdrew from a university 2 weeks ago and have really questioned it since.  I thought I had made my mind up but now I am not sure.  Has anyone here ever withdrawn, recondidered, and reapproached a school?  Regardless, does anyone have any advice for me on this?

Ouch.  2 weeks is a long time.  If it was 2 days, I would call them and say they should disregard the withdrawal, but 2 weeks is, IMO, too long for them to do anything.  But call.  You have NOTHING to lose at this point.

Bulldog86

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Second thoughts on a withdrawal
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 09:37:55 PM »
Mahler is right. Since it's Friday now, call first thing Monday morning (like 9 AM or earlier) -- maybe you'll get lucky and they won't have started calling the waitlist yet. Even if they have, they might put you near the top of it (IF you commit to going, I would guess). But yeah, worst case scenario is you're no worse off than you are now. Make the call early Monday.
UVA Law Class of 2011

duderancher

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Second thoughts on a withdrawal
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:42:11 PM »
There is a pretty big scholarship involved in this.  I was trying to do the right thing by freeing up the scholarship but should have waited a little longer, I guess.

greenie

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 353
    • View Profile
Re: Second thoughts on a withdrawal
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 09:42:25 PM »
Has the deadline to deposit passed?

MahlerGrooves

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 775
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
Re: Second thoughts on a withdrawal
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 09:45:48 PM »
There is a pretty big scholarship involved in this.  I was trying to do the right thing by freeing up the scholarship but should have waited a little longer, I guess.

I think your scholarship is a casualty either way.

duderancher

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Second thoughts on a withdrawal
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 10:02:44 PM »
I paid the deposit on April 1st, visited another school's ASD on the 11th and paid the deposit there, and on the 13th I withdrew from the first school.  I was very respectful and complimentary in my withdrawal and even mentioned that I was afraid that I would second guess my decision.  Initially, I was emailed by "the admissions office"  and then a few days later, I received a more personal email from the admissions dean.  This evening, before I posted this thread I replied to her email and expressed my regret at having withdrawn.  It was after normal work hours.  I didn't outright ask to be "reconsidered" but I feel like I opened the door for them to offer. The reason that I didn't just outright ask is that I would still want to visit and get a better feel before I totally committed.  I had attempted to visit before but a family emergency caused me to cancel a few days before.  This school is a few states away.

greenie

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 353
    • View Profile
Re: Second thoughts on a withdrawal
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 10:04:14 PM »
I paid the deposit on April 1st, visited another school's ASD on the 11th and paid the deposit there, and on the 13th I withdrew from the first school.  I was very respectful and complimentary in my withdrawal and even mentioned that I was afraid that I would second guess my decision.  Initially, I was emailed by "the admissions office"  and then a few days later, I received a more personal email from the admissions dean.  This evening, before I posted this thread I replied to her email and expressed my regret at having withdrawn.  It was after normal work hours.  I didn't outright ask to be "reconsidered" but I feel like I opened the door for them to offer. The reason that I didn't just outright ask is that I would still want to visit and get a better feel before I totally committed.  I had attempted to visit before but a family emergency caused me to cancel a few days before.  This school is a few states away.

I think if you really want to go there you need to commit 100% on it.

duderancher

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Second thoughts on a withdrawal
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 10:15:06 PM »
They came after me pretty hard.  I was offered just a few thousand short of a full scholarship. Since I already emailed, I suppose I should at least wait for the response, don't you think?

duderancher

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Second thoughts on a withdrawal
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
Update.  I spoke with Amy Winehouse and she gave me good advice.  It was very nice of her to take the time especially with the news of her most recent episode with the British police being reported all over the globe.  I called the University in question Monday a.m and spoke with the second in command as the director was unavailable Monday.  She was receptive and promised to get back to me Tuesday, today, which she did and I am restored to admitted with seat deposit paid and scholarhip.  I think a key was the fact that I had paid the seat deposit prior to my withdrawal. Plus, they genuinely want me there.  I will visit in a few days.