Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Networking?  (Read 2058 times)

krystal82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Networking?
« on: April 25, 2008, 07:25:13 PM »
So we had a law forum at my undergrad and one of the speakers was a partner at Kramer Levin, I spoke to him briefly about law school and afterwards sent him a short email thanking  him for his information.

Here is his reply:

Hi XXXX,

It was a pleasure meeting you today. I hope you got something out of the presentation.

Good luck with your law studies. Feel free to keep in touch, especially should you decide to apply to Kramer Levin for a summer associate position next summer.

Best,

xxxx

What exactly constitues as keeping in touch? Should I reply to this message?

mf22076

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Networking?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 06:35:22 PM »
I would absolutely keep in touch with this guy.  The fact that he responded to your email means he is worth keeping as a contract. Send him a thank you letter in hardcopy so that he remembers your name.  Three contacts is the magic number so that people will remember you and then find a legit reason to email him at least once every couple of months.  Maybe ask him for advice for finding a law related job between undergrad and 1L, etc....

Most jobs come thru good contacts. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 11:12:07 PM »
Huge contact.  Keep in touch.  It's not the norm to get this sort of reciprocation. 

Did you have a conversation with this contact?  Is there anything you can call on to cement ties in the email?  Any topics that you were both into, or things you could relate to?  The trick is to make the reply professional yet slightly personal.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Best-Legal-Aid.com

• Check out www.Best-Legal-Aid.com for free advice
    • View Profile
    • Best-Legal-Aid.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 10:19:31 AM »
Yes, definitely keep in touch with this guy.  Email him back now to say thank you, and then remember to email him again at the beginning of your 2L job search.  He may help you get a job, or he may know someone at another firm who can help.  Remember that he gets a financial bonus if he recommends someone to his firm who they hire, so it's in his interest to help you get a job at his firm as well.
Check out www.Best-Legal-Aid.com for free advice on passing law school and the bar exam!