Law School Discussion

How old will you be...

Re: How old will you be...
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2008, 02:22:13 PM »
Wow, some real youngins here!  Who graduates LS when they're 23?  Undergrad at 20?  Damn.

Sounds kind of cool on paper
, but it's not really. I won't even be able to go to the bars when I get to school. That's really going to do wonders for my social life.  :-\

yea it may sound good...but not really.  this is not the type of field where you can take off after school or have big gaps in your resume that can be explained away easily.

its like, i understand not wanting to take a break to do something stupid...but in the long run, it's better to break now than later.

I really can't see myself taking a break. I'm mostly just worried about the age gap.

I think there are two sides to the age-gap coin.  On the one hand, younger students are more used to being in school, and I would think better able to hit the ground running academically.  Not to mention that you'll be much farther along in your career by the time you hit 30.

On the other hand, those of us with a few years under our belts are definitely more mature, and understand ourselves better.  I know I'm a totally different person than when I was 21.  Much less opinionated, and understanding of the need for balance in my life (which can mean pretty much anything, e.g., the need to balance friendships with honesty, and yada yada.)  Also, i would think, more sure of what I'm doing with my life and why I'm becoming a lawyer. 

No offense, but a 21 year old (out of college, rather than say the marine corps) is just a kid...  But I'm definitely afraid of you guys blowing the curve.

I agree with you on a broad level. I think in general there is a very big difference between those just out of undergrad and those with a few years (or more) of work and life experience under their belt. Individually, though, I grew up under some very extraordinary circumstances and consequently do not really have the same outlook on life as most of my peers. I tend to identify more with people older than myself. That being said, I am a little worried about making friends and having a social life because I'm so young. Academically, though, I do think that being fresh out of undergrad will help keep me in a school-focused mindset.

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »
Wow, some real youngins here!  Who graduates LS when they're 23?  Undergrad at 20?  Damn.

, but it's not really. I won't even be able to go to the bars when I get to school. That's really going to do wonders for my social life.  :-\

yea it may sound good...but not really.  this is not the type of field where you can take off after school or have big gaps in your resume that can be explained away easily.

its like, i understand not wanting to take a break to do something stupid...but in the long run, it's better to break now than later.

I really can't see myself taking a break. I'm mostly just worried about the age gap.

I think there are two sides to the age-gap coin.  On the one hand, younger students are more used to being in school, and I would think better able to hit the ground running academically.  Not to mention that you'll be much farther along in your career by the time you hit 30.

On the other hand, those of us with a few years under our belts are definitely more mature, and understand ourselves better.  I know I'm a totally different person than when I was 21.  Much less opinionated, and understanding of the need for balance in my life (which can mean pretty much anything, e.g., the need to balance friendships with honesty, and yada yada.)  Also, i would think, more sure of what I'm doing with my life and why I'm becoming a lawyer. 

No offense, but a 21 year old (out of college, rather than say the marine corps) is just a kid...  But I'm definitely afraid of you guys blowing the curve.

I agree with you on a broad level. I think in general there is a very big difference between those just out of undergrad and those with a few years (or more) of work and life experience under their belt. Individually, though, I grew up under some very extraordinary circumstances and consequently do not really have the same outlook on life as most of my peers. I tend to identify more with people older than myself. That being said, I am a little worried about making friends and having a social life because I'm so young. Academically, though, I do think that being fresh out of undergrad will help keep me in a school-focused mindset.

everyone will assume you are 22 unless you tell them otherwise.

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »

Yeah, but there's the whole I can't get into bars factor.

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2008, 02:27:27 PM »

bars are overrated anyway.

fake id maybe?

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2008, 02:28:38 PM »

fake id maybe?

Something to think about, I suppose. Or I guess I could just be patient and wait for 21.

Speedzie

• Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2008, 02:29:23 PM »

Maybe.  I don't really get ID'd anymore, at 25, unless i go to those bars/clubs that are real big with the college crowd.  Goto ones with an older crowd, like i'm sure law students will go to, and I'd say its probly 50/50 at the worst.

Edit:  Especially if you're with a group thats clearly over 21...

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2008, 02:30:33 PM »

fake id maybe?

Something to think about, I suppose. Or I guess I could just be patient and wait for 21.

Sound like your going to be the permanent DD for 1L.

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »

Maybe.  I don't really get ID'd anymore, at 25, unless i go to those bars/clubs that are real big with the college crowd.  Goto ones with an older crowd, like i'm sure law students will go to, and I'd say its probly 50/50 at the worst.

Yeah, I guess it depends on where I go. I'm a very small female though and tend to look on the young side. I still get carded for R rated movies sometimes haha.

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2008, 02:32:44 PM »

fake id maybe?

Oh God.

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2008, 02:39:32 PM »

fake id maybe?

Oh God.

Make sure that you have plenty of bags in your car just in case someone cant keep it down :)