Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Information on JAG Corps.?  (Read 4569 times)

RockinJay

• View Profile
Any Information on JAG Corps.?
« on: April 25, 2008, 04:28:29 PM »
I've already done the research on the JAG Corp. and it interests me.  Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, etc. on the subject?

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any Information on JAG Corps.?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:37:33 PM »
I'm headed to Air Force JAG this coming fall. Feel free to ask away.
Air Force JAG Corps

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 09:00:18 PM »
Nice!  Do they have an age requirement?  What about the type of law school?  Are they as strict as Big LAw when it comes to law school rank?  What about grades and class rank?  IS there an ideal cutoff or stated requirement?  Do you have to go to boot camp?  Do you have a say where you are stationed?  Hmmm, I think that is it for now.  Hehehe, thanks!

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:55:07 PM »
Try a search on the main page as well, there's been a few different threads on this subject.

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 11:49:47 PM »
Figure I'll lend a hand, as I've been flirting with this idea many times in the last couple years, and have done my share of research on it.

Nice!  Do they have an age requirement?  What about the type of law school?  Are they as strict as Big LAw when it comes to law school rank?  What about grades and class rank?  IS there an ideal cutoff or stated requirement?  Do you have to go to boot camp?  Do you have a say where you are stationed?   Hmmm, I think that is it for now.  Hehehe, thanks!

The bolded are answered on AFJAG's website here: http://www.jagusaf.hq.af.mil/

I know that the Air Force and Navy have a shortened officer training course for "professional" officers. The Marines require you to pass their Basic Officer course at Quantico, same as every other officer. I think the situation is the same for the Army as well (though I can't quite remember).

I've been told that they are very serious about you being physically fit. The 4 branches only fill several hundred positions a year (I think there are 4000 JAG lawyers total), there is competition for those slots, and they want people qualified on all levels.
Rising 1L

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 02:46:54 PM »
Nice!  Do they have an age requirement?  What about the type of law school?  Are they as strict as Big LAw when it comes to law school rank?  What about grades and class rank?  IS there an ideal cutoff or stated requirement?  Do you have to go to boot camp?  Do you have a say where you are stationed?  Hmmm, I think that is it for now.  Hehehe, thanks!

1. Age: Assuming you are going for a direct commission (you stay a civilian through all of law school and are automatically given your 1st Lt commission once you graduate and pass the bar), you have to be under 35.

2. Law School: I'm sure it is a factor but it seems to matter far less than BigLaw. I worked as part of the civilian law clerk program this summer and the composition of the office ranged from T14 through T3.

3. Grades/Rank: Absolutely matter, though my interview seemed to focus more on the litigation/trial courses. They were pleased about my A in Evidence, but did not even mention my Contracts CALI, etc. I feel they will also be more flexible than BigLaw, but they also look for different things. I would be sure to be in moot court, trial advocacy, etc.

4. Boot Camp: 5 weeks in Commissioned Officers Training, compared to the 14 of Basic Officers Training that those going through OTS proper exerpience. It is no longer the "salute school" that it was years past, but it is hardly like Army or USMC basic.
It is all JDs, MDs, and chaplains, so there it is understood everyone has a professional degree and could be making more bank in the civilian world. COT is also unique that by virtue of the advanced education, we are commissioned officers as of Day 1 of the training. Those that are going through BOT actually have to earn their commissions as an O-1, and are merely Officer Candidates until they graduate.

5. Say in Permanent Station: You give a "wish list" of your preferred bases and they allow you to select from 2 before you take your oath (in theory, you can still walk away if you hate both locations and not be committed) but it is the needs of the Air Force that will determine your station.

Edit: I just saw the comment regarding selectivity. I believe the AF selects a max 120 new JAGs each year, and some are coming from sources other than Direct Appointment (FLEP/ELP for active duty, OYCP, etc), so there are not a lot of spots. Depending on the year and the accession board, it is a 7%-11% selection rate.
I would think Army is the easiest given their rates of deployment and need for man power, though I'm sure it is still competitive.
USN takes very few direct appointments, so consider that as your are planning things out. If you want Navy, you'll have to have your mind made up by the end of 1L or so.
USMC is a totally different beast all together. 100% "rifleman first, lawyer second." Great if you want to eat mud through all the training.
Air Force JAG Corps

brandonius

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 11:36:42 PM »
Although I'm only just about to start law school this fall, I've been seriously considering JAG corps as an option.  One thing I wanted to try is getting some sort of scholarship to pay for law school with one of the branches.  Has anyone had any luck with this?

I spoke with the recruiter for army ROTC at UGA and he told me that I could go to LTC (a 4 week ROTC training course) the summer after my 1L year and then become an ROTC cadet for my 2L and 3L years and get those paid for.  The only drawback with that is that you have to take an ROTC class each semester.  That may not be a huge deal tho for the 2L and 3L years.  I wonder though how that ends up working out with JAG.  I'm presuming I'd still have to apply for the JAG position independent of the ROTC program.  I wonder if I'd have to do the normal officer's training course if and when I got accepted for JAG considering my status as an ROTC grad if I go that route.  Anyone know?

And also, if I were to do ROTC would I be wasting a good opportunity in my 1L summer to do a JAG internship?

Also, as a soon to be married man, I definitely will have problems with being away from my better half for extended periods.  Whats the rule for deployed JAGs?  Do you get to take wifey along or what?

I'd love to hear from any ROTC folks who have done anything similar to this or also any JAG folks who may know answers to these Qs.  Thanks.
'11 UGA Law = teh pwnage

brandonius

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 08:35:31 PM »
tag. would love some info on this.  ;D
'11 UGA Law = teh pwnage

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 12:15:35 PM »
Is your starting rank as an AF JAG Captain? That would be sweet...

I've given brief brief thought to the JAG Corps before but quite frankly I'll need a higher salary than they can offer.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 12:20:55 PM »
Is your starting rank as an AF JAG Captain? That would be sweet...

I've given brief brief thought to the JAG Corps before but quite frankly I'll need a higher salary than they can offer.

JAGs are commissioned as an 0-2 (1st Lt in the USAF/USA/USMC, Lt Junior Grade in the Navy) and are promoted to 0-3 (Captain in the USAF/USA/USMC, Lt in the Navy) within 6 months.

The basic pay is the same irrespective of service branch though the housing allowance (BAH) varies on the location, grade, and time in service.
Air Force JAG Corps