Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: THE LSAT NEEDS TO BE MODERNIZED.  (Read 3417 times)

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
THE LSAT NEEDS TO BE MODERNIZED.
« on: April 25, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »
Can someone please explain why the LSAT is still paper-based and not computerized like the GRE?

It's ridiculous.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: THE LSAT NEEDS TO BE MODERNIZED.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »
I would go crazy with a keyboard in front of me trying to doodle flowcharts.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 01:42:43 PM »
Probably the same reason it takes 3 weeks to grade some scantrons and they don't offer refunds for cancellations... they have a monopoly so they can do whatever they want.  Why invest in the infrastructure to do all of that when they can continue running their business as is with no significant changes and people have to use it because that's all there is?

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 01:46:48 PM »
Probably the same reason it takes 3 weeks to grade some scantrons and they don't offer refunds for cancellations... they have a monopoly so they can do whatever they want.  Why invest in the infrastructure to do all of that when they can continue running their business as is with no significant changes and people have to use it because that's all there is?

titcr and all that.  $>all

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »
I would go crazy with a keyboard in front of me trying to doodle flowcharts.

Flowcharts? As in bubbling in answers? CBTs (Computer based tests) aren't even like that... I took the computer based GRE and it was so simple and straightforward.

Why you ask? Because it would save an inordinate amount of money eliminating ALL the paper work, scantrons, people who process every thing. Actually the GRE gives you your score as soon as you finish...

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 01:50:33 PM »
Actually it's also harder to cheat. Instead of a proctor who occasionally glances around, computer based tests have a camera recording you at all times. You also can't bring ANYTHING in the room--since you're using a computer. 

Barnum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • griffonprep.com
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 02:12:32 PM »
One of the reasons, is that it would actually increase the cost of testing.  This means they would pass that onto you the test taker.  The reason for the increased expense is the greatly increased need for valid questions.  Currently, the LSAT needs to essentially create just over 400 valid test questions a year.  Since CAT tests are offered throughout the year, it is important to have an extremely large question pool to avoid the problem of having a test-taker disclose the questions they saw to another test-taker.  At any given time the question pool on the GMAT, for example, is between 5,000 and 10,000 questions with some questions being changed out every month.  This means that over the course of the year the GMAT goes through about 18,000 - 20,000 questions.  That is a huge difference and a great expense.

Not to mention, that potential decrease to the validity of the test.  That many more questions, means that much more chance of error.  I teach people to take the GMAT, GRE, and the LSAT and I must say I cringe at the thought of the LSAT going to computer.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 02:17:36 PM »
One of the reasons, is that it would actually increase the cost of testing.  This means they would pass that onto you the test taker.  The reason for the increased expense is the greatly increased need for valid questions.  Currently, the LSAT needs to essentially create just over 400 valid test questions a year.  Since CAT tests are offered throughout the year, it is important to have an extremely large question pool to avoid the problem of having a test-taker disclose the questions they saw to another test-taker.  At any given time the question pool on the GMAT, for example, is between 5,000 and 10,000 questions with some questions being changed out every month.  This means that over the course of the year the GMAT goes through about 18,000 - 20,000 questions.  That is a huge difference and a great expense.

Not to mention, that potential decrease to the validity of the test.  That many more questions, means that much more chance of error.  I teach people to take the GMAT, GRE, and the LSAT and I must say I cringe at the thought of the LSAT going to computer.

You act like the current test questions are ACTUALLY GOOD PREDICTORS of how well students will do in law school...

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 03:38:07 PM »
Can someone please explain why the LSAT is still paper-based and not computerized like the GRE?

It's ridiculous.

Because the GRE is a ridiculous test that doesn't matter quite as much as the LSAT ?

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 03:43:12 PM »
You act like the current test questions are ACTUALLY GOOD PREDICTORS of how well students will do in law school...
Actually, they are. They do correlation studies and the LSAT is a very good predictor... certainly much better than using GPA. (That whole "three hours counts more than three years" complaint is actually true for a reason...) Read one sometime, it's interesting.
UVA Law Class of 2011